Ontos Questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Ontos Questions Deck Guns Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:18 pm
    ----
Hey Don

How bout a pc of an Ontos being used as deck guns on an LST ?
Smile

Jeff Lewis

#17: Re: Ontos Questions Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:29 pm
    ----
Great Photo!

I believe you got that off the net. (I have seen it, and love it!)

I have been lucky to have found or received many Ontos Photos, but only a few which show the vehicle being used in a 'non-traditional' role.

Didn't quite 'stump the ol' Dontos' though... (or is that 'Stump The Chump'...?!)

But thanks for the photo,
Don

#18: Re: Ontos Questions Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:48 pm
    ----
That would be one way to "clear the decks fore and aft" !

David

#19: Re: Ontos Questions Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:32 am
    ----
[img][/img]
I took this picture of a couple flechettes I found at Ft Stewart, GA. back in 1995 time frame on mortar point 5 if memory serves me. They were stuck in a downed dead tree. We were told that in the past, the range had been used by the Ranger Batt at Hunter Army Airfield for firing Recoiless Rifles. The quarter shows their relative size. Any ideas what kind of recoiless rifle/cannister they came from? I like knowing what I exactly have in my modest collection of shell casings and what not.

#20: Re: Ontos Questions Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:37 am
    ----
Here is a pic of the flechettes from a 106mm RR.

Jeff it looks like yours are the same.

#21: Re: Ontos Questions Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:09 pm
    ----
I had a look-and-a-fondle of Jeff's flechettes and if these are the same ones, they're a mite smaller than the ones from the 152mm M81 gun variety....both in diameter and length, but essentially the same design. Probably just scaled for the size and MV of the weapons from which they are fired. Both of 'em will hurt ya'.

#22: Re: Ontos Questions Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:21 pm
    ----
I thought the flechettes possibly came from the M590 Antipersonnel Cartridge (Canister). It was filled with 2,400 steel, 8 grain, low drag, fin-stabilized, steel wire projectiles. But that was 90mm M67 wasn't it? Were the same flechettes used in various rounds and different size recoiless rifles? The M67 was eventually replaced by the M47 Dragon Missile Launcher.

#23: Re: Ontos Models Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:44 am
    ----
Mike

Thought you these might interest you....

Don

#24: Re: Ontos Questions Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:56 am
    ----
Opps Sorrry....

These are the concept scaled models of the T 55 & T 56.

Did some digging around in my reference photos & found these.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board