How much does an Abrams MBT weigh?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: How much does an Abrams MBT weigh? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:25 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Now before you all jump in and tell me how much they weigh, I do know how much they weigh when LOADED FOR COMBAT.

What I am looking for today is how much a servicable M1 with only a few gallons of fuel, no troops, no ammo, no what ever that can be removed that would not prevent the vehicle from being driven. After which it could be topped off and combat loaded for action.

For you all wingy types, this is some follow up research into how badly one can over load a big four engine wingly thing. Shocked

Thanks folks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: How much does an Abrams MBT weigh? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:50 am
    ----
In the range of 63-65 tons. Depending on the variants of M1A1 to M1A2 SEP.

Don

#3: Re: How much does an Abrams MBT weigh? Author: LeeW PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:02 pm
    ----
This could be apocraphal but I remember hearing that there was a several ton variation in weight between the lightest and the heaviest of the first score of M1's to come off the assembly line. This variation apparently got a lot smaller as production contineued.

On another line you don't need a turret to drive it. Just a crane to put it back on to make it combat rady.....

#4: Re: How much does an Abrams MBT weigh with turrets in place. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:12 pm
    ----
Hi Lee! Hi Folks!

"On another line you don't need a turret to drive it. Just a crane to put it back on to make it combat rady....."

Very true, however I was thinking in terms of min. fuel, no ammo, tools, and what ever else the crew could remove and remount.

Removing the turret would just add to many supporting troops, heavy equipment and time required to get the vehicle combat ready.

Weight of a plain M1 (105mm) type does not count, most if all of those are no longer on active duty. I am thinking about the M1A1s (all versions) and the M1A2s.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: How much does an Abrams MBT weigh? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:17 pm
    ----
The turret weighs 23-28 tons....depending on variant....

The weight has gone from 55 tons to 70 tons....

amazingly, manueverability and speed have stayed the same if not increased due to improvements with the later variants.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board