M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:35 pm
    ----

I found this vehicle (SN 2593A) among a group of M60's that are being prepped for hard target (Final) duty. She's already been stripped pretty bad, I thought it was a shame since to my knowlege only five of these were made for the Army. There is one at the 1st CAV DIV's museum. I am trying to post a picture for the first time so I hope this works.

I spotted this Sherman behind the North Fort Hood MATES site. It looks like a former range target, all the rubber is missing from the hull and most of the hatches have been replaced with plate steel. Numbers stamped on the front left hull below.

C2156
D52644

Joe D

#2: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:38 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

I spotted this Sherman behind the North Fort Hood MATES site. It looks like a former range target, all the rubber is missing from the hull and most of the hatches have been replaced with plate steel. Numbers stamped on the front left hull below.

C2156
D52644

Joe D

Best numbers to get are any that may be visible on the rear tow lugs. The numbers you have are probably hull stampings - which generally dont help in identification unfortunately. Any chance you can get another look?

Neil

#3: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:43 pm
    ----
Neil,
I can get to it probably this afternoon, When I was last there I remembered either you or somebody else said check the tow lugs. I didn't see any numbers but I wasn't dressed for crawling around. I'll bring my coveralls this time with camera. Any other areas you'd like me to check?

Joe D

#4: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:54 pm
    ----
Usually they're on the face going up to the top of the lug. Not usually on the bottom. But they're often covered in rust or seemingly not there at all.

One warning, they often dont show up well in camera shots. Best thing is to just write them down or even do an etching with pencil & paper.

Neil

#5: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:15 pm
    ----

Here's a few more angles of it.

Joe D

#6: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:42 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img]
This M4A3 Sherman at Ft Irwin is serial number 2938, one of the first 300 Ford built Shermans accepted by the Army. The rear tow lugs appear to have nothing on them, but the number is on each side of the rear, as seen in this picture where I'm pointing out the location. I recieved alot of help from Kurt Laughlin and Charles Lemons on proper ID of this vehicle so I'm pretty sure of the info. The USA number should be 3055898, not the 508867 that is seen. This particular Sherman ran as recently as May 2000, after having its fuel system cleaned, caberators adjusted, a new temp gauge added, and a plastic fuel cell from a Hummer added to replace the rusted metal one. However she hasn't started or moved since I got here in Aug 02, there are no funds for operation.

#7: I have the Serial Number Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:29 pm
    ----
Here is the serial number for the 105 Sherman. It is very visible in the picture. Just in case it can't be seen, the number is #73274.

Joe D

#8: Re: I have the Serial Number - Kurt! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:05 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Here is the serial number for the 105 Sherman. It is very visible in the picture. Just in case it can't be seen, the number is #73274.

Okay, now we just need Kurt to chime in!

Neil

#9: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:19 pm
    ----
Kurts the man on Shermans alright. The M74 TRV here at Irwin has clear tow hook markings like those as well, its number is 74159 but was built to late for the war effort. Maybe this one at Hood falls into the same catagory?

#10: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:27 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button

This M4A3 Sherman at Ft Irwin is serial number 2938, one of the first 300 Ford built Shermans accepted by the Army. The rear tow lugs appear to have nothing on them, but the number is on each side of the rear, as seen in this picture where I'm pointing out the location. I recieved alot of help from Kurt Laughlin and Charles Lemons on proper ID of this vehicle so I'm pretty sure of the info. The USA number should be 3055898, not the 508867 that is seen. This particular Sherman ran as recently as May 2000, after having its fuel system cleaned, caberators adjusted, a new temp gauge added, and a plastic fuel cell from a Hummer added to replace the rusted metal one. However she hasn't started or moved since I got here in Aug 02, there are no funds for operation.

Jeff,
Are there any other Shermans on display at Ft. Irwin? Also, how difficult is it for the general public to get on post and visit the museum? I'm trying to con my wife into letting me make another road trip down to So Cal for more picture taking later this spring and would like to check the museum out if possible.

#11: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:48 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Jeff,
Are there any other Shermans on display at Ft. Irwin? Also, how difficult is it for the general public to get on post and visit the museum? I'm trying to con my wife into letting me make another road trip down to So Cal for more picture taking later this spring and would like to check the museum out if possible.

Chris,
If you make it down, be sure to give me a holler. Think you might get to San Diego?

Here's one of my pics of "Betsy" at Ft. Irwin...I have a couple of the interior, too.
D.

#12: Re: M60A3 Reactive Armor and Sherman 105mm Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:38 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- toadmanstankpictures
Jeff,

Chris,
If you make it down, be sure to give me a holler. Think you might get to San Diego?

Here's one of my pics of "Betsy" at Ft. Irwin...I have a couple of the interior, too.
D.

Doug,
Nice pic. There aren't any M4A3(75) up here. I really need to shoot this vehicle for an upcoming project or two.

If I can make it down south, I'm sure I'll be able to hit San Diego. Everything is very preliminary right now. I still have to let my wife know that I'm even contemplating this trip. Laughing Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board