What became of this plane? Still at Garber?
-> Officer's Club

#1: What became of this plane? Still at Garber? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:47 pm
    ----
"B-17
3097 (19th BG, *Swoose*) only known US military aircraft to have flown a combat mission on the first day of US entry into WW II and to remain in continuous military flying service throughout the conflict. Throughout the war, it was continually rebuilt with wreckage of other B-17s and kept on flying in SW Pacific. Later assigned as personal transport of Gen George Brett. At end of war, consigned to Kingman, AZ for scrapping, but was saved by Frank Kurtz, its wartime pilot, who arranged for the city of Los Angeles to accept it as a war memorial. On April 6, 1946, Kurtz flew the airplane to Mines Field, the Los Angeles municipal airport. Among his passengers were the mayor of Los Angeles and Mrs. Kurtz. Following acceptance ceremonies, airport personnel stored the B-17 inside a hangar. Plan for war memorial fell through and Frank Kurtz arranged for the National Air Museum to acquire the aircraft. Kurtz flew the plane in May 1948 to the old C-54 assembly plant at Park Ridge, IL for storage. In June 1950 the USAF claimed the Park Ridge facility for military use, and the Smithsonian officials abandoned the hangar. On Jan 18, 1952, an Air Force crew flew the plane to Pyote, TX for storage. Flown to Andrews AFB, MD Dec 3, 1953 and stored outdoors there for six years. In April 1961, the plane was trucked to the Paul Garber Preservation, Restoration, and Storage Facility at Silver Hill, MD. Is to be restored and put on display at Smithsonian museum at Dulles Airport, Washington."

www.aviation-history.c...D-4_f.html

#2: Re: What became of this plane? Still at Garber? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:01 pm
    ----
How did you become interested in this bird? I'm still working on that L19 and now a B-17. I'll see what I turn up.

#3: Re: What became of this plane? Still at Garber? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
How did you become interested in this bird? I'm still working on that L19 and now a B-17. I'll see what I turn up.

I was cruising Baughers' site. Look for any listing with a long paragraph behind it...they're all interesting... Laughing

#4: Re: What became of this plane? Still at Garber? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:17 am
    ----
Yeah I know, I've done the same thing, morerecently for the L19! Its not kisted but I'm by no means done. I sent out 5 e-mails last night concerning that bird and hopfully I here some clues soon. More to follow....

#5: Re: What became of this plane? Still at Garber? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:58 pm
    ----
Here's the latest from the Smithsonian concerning your B-17 bomber. Below is their response to a letter I sent them. This should at least clear up the planes location and ultimate fate, which appears to be a good one in a few years.
SFC Jeff Button

Your correspondence of February 9 concerning display of the National Air
and Space Museum's B-17 "Swoose" has been received by the Smithsonian's
Public Inquiry Mail Service for response.

This aircraft is in the collections of the National Air and Space Museum.
We are uncertain what your friend wants to know about it, as the information
he has provided you comes directly from the NASM essay on the Swoose which
is posted on the Internet, i.e.,
www.nasm.si.edu/resear..._b17d.htm. It is one of
the aircraft which is slated to be displayed in the NASM's Steven F.
Udvar-Hazy Center, located near Dulles International Airport, Chantilly,
Virginia. All Smithsonian aircraft must be completely restored before they
are exhibited and there is as yet a great deal of work to be done on "The
Swoose." It will probably be several years before it can be displayed.

Your interest in the Smithsonian Institution is appreciated.

-> Officer's Club