Something for the Men of JG300
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Something for the Men of JG300 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:59 pm
    ----
Mr. Green A big thanks for the welcome you guys have given us tankers here on Com Central. I just wanted to show you guys that the "WILD SAU" link between aircraft and armor is for real.

#2: Re: Something for the Men of JG300 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:13 pm
    ----
Much appreciated....and that pic's a keeper, for sure!

I expect CO JG300-Stoopy will be along to make Sqdn. gratitude "official"...just as soon as he sobers up, and/or dallying with his "campaign wife" over at the "Pig Sty". Perks of command, dontcha' know..... Wink

#3: Re: Something for the Men of JG300 Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:21 pm
    ----
Ayup! Present and accounted for!

Thanks Tanklord! That's a great picture...what kind of gun is that anyway? Dang big ol' caliber on it and a short barrel....can't be AA can it?

And shucks.....it was the Com-Central staff that did the work...us JG300 guys are just pretty visible here, we're the pigs running around stinkin' up the joint (with sty'le, mind you!). One particularly stanky swine in general did work pretty hard at gettin' ya in the door but you may know him already...not that you'd admit it, if'n your smart...

Actually y'alls new digs and discussions here have been kind of inspiring. I was in a used bookstore last week looking for a copy of "Low Level Hell" (they didn't have it) so I picked up a book called "Death Traps" by Belton Cooper....."The survival of an American Armored division in World War II". Not wingy-stuff, but figured what the heck. Not sure what Belton Cooper's rep is among your DG here but by all accounts this man (working as a maintenance laison officer) saw the M4 Sherman in action from Normandy all the way into Germany, and although he doesn't hold the tank itself in high regard during that operation, his observations and comments on the tankers and support crews is extremely interesting and inspiring, as are the various stories. Quite probably you are familiar with the book anyway. Good read, and if you can recommend any others I'm sure others here would also appreciate some good recommendations along that line!

Thanks again for the "Wilde Sau" pic....dig it!

#4: Re: Something for the Men of JG300 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
    ----
It is a SDKFZ 138 "Grille" (Cricket) self propelled 150 mm heavy infantry gun.

There has been a lot of discussion about Cooper's book but I have yet to read it. Maybe one of my fellow tankers can jump in on this one.

BTW The photo was taken off an excellent site called "Axis History Forum". Pretty much set up along the same lines as this site. The admin there is pretty good about keeping people in line and not letting personal politics overtake history.

I have never been into flight sims, but I do love the FW-190, particularly the "Rammjager" models.

-> AFV News Discussion Board