Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:43 pm
    ----
...so I'll post it here and bump now and again so's it doesn't get overlooked. It makes a BIG difference in the forum viewing experience, IMO.

So: LOOK HERE: (click link below)

www.com-central.net/in...amp;t=2624

#2: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: LeeW PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 pm
    ----
Really nice job. I find it much easier on the eyes as well as more in keeping with the board theme.

#3: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:09 pm
    ----
Doug

I too like the new background.

BUT....(there always seems to be one)

The icon in the thread listing is difficult to see 'new' or 'unviewed' posts. The slight hint of red 'squigly lines' don't stand out enough to easily see what topics one has not already viewed.

Perhaps a more bold highlighted icon would work.

Just my two pfinnigs(sp?) worth of opinion.
(basically worthless unless at a bar during a 'pfinnig check'!!)

Don

#4: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:58 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Doug

The icon in the thread listing is difficult to see 'new' or 'unviewed' posts. The slight hint of red 'squigly lines' don't stand out enough to easily see what topics one has not already viewed.

Perhaps a more bold highlighted icon would work.

Don

No Don, you're right....I thought maybe it was just me with my peculiar color vision. I have to look pretty deliberately to see that myself.
I'll run this by the first available "janitor" I see and check if this can be adjusted easily.
D.

#5: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: LeeW PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:02 pm
    ----
I was going by the darker text on the unviewed vs viewed threads and the arrowd and page icon for new posts. Now that you mention it if I look close I can see the other icon differences as well.

#6: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:13 pm
    ----
Looks good to me ... whatever will make everyone happy!

#7: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:09 am
    ----
- LeeW
I was going by the darker text on the unviewed vs viewed threads and the arrowd and page icon for new posts. Now that you mention it if I look close I can see the other icon differences as well.

Ha! I'd not noticed the arrows 'til you mentioned it. In any case, I can see the janitors have been busy in the boiler room and come up with a lil' tankette icon that is easier to see when new posts are added.

< 24hr. turn-around time....can't do much better than that!

#8: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:10 am
    ----
Try it now... Wink

#9: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:32 am
    ----
Out Standing Update!

Thanks to everyone who got it done!

Still like the old DG layout better, but this one is starting to grow on me.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:49 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Out Standing Update!

Still like the old DG layout better, but this one is starting to grow on me.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Roy...
Yeah, spam 'bots like the other layout better, too. Now there's another one showing up there from Kuala Lumpur. That makes four that hit it regularly still (George and I still delete them).

#11: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: LeeW PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:54 pm
    ----
There used to be a usnet group where you could get help fighting spamers. It did take a fair amount of work usually involved tracing a spammer back to his IP and complaining to his IP. If that didn't work complaining to his IP's IP. ETC. There were a couple of cases where they got about as far up the line as they could and the top level IP didn't do anything. Since some of them were fairly high up in their own IP organizations they started rejecting all trafic from the offending IP. It usually worked but took a while. With all the foreign servers available might not work now. Since Comcast bought out Roadrunner in my area I lost my usnet feed and haven't checked in there in several years.

#12: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:55 am
    ----
- LeeW
With all the foreign servers available might not work now. Since Comcast bought out Roadrunner in my area I lost my usnet feed and haven't checked in there in several years.

Two of the offending sources tracked to Israel and most recently, Kuala Lumpur. I'm pretty sure they're compromised systems controlled by 'bots.

#13: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:14 am
    ----
OK, OK, I changed from the Light Blue background (even thought it was close to Infantry Blue) and changed to this Ground Pounder color scheme. I hate changes, ( hate may be a little strong, lets say "dislike") which is why I had the cow about changing forums and learning how to post pictures all over again. But change for the better is good, and this forum and color choice are better so I'm on board. Good job Doug! Do they have a Golden Globe, Oscar, Emmy or anything for Moderators that bust their butts!? You deserve something of the sort!

#14: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:30 am
    ----
George pointed out to me that it was just as much in my interest to preserve the forum if possible....and he was right. The fact that so many (~200) of us are here in basically two weeks of registration (with every prospect of doubling that by year's end) is reward enough for me.

#15: Re: Mike made a good point about the "Forum Skins"... Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:38 am
    ----
Yeah, I like the "armour" theme better as well. Nice work.

-> AFV News Discussion Board