And tonights "wierd" picture is.....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: And tonights "wierd" picture is..... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:37 am
    ----
[img][/img]
OK gentlemen, I found this pic and am wondering what this tank is, and where it might be, (I dont know). Seems perfectly balanced on its turret. Possibly the "rescue party" has opened the belly plate or escape hatch??

#2: Re: And tonights "wierd" picture is..... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:55 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

That would be a Leo 2, not sure with version. It's hard to see, but there is a AVLB bridge unit behind the tank. The trooper on the far right side of the photo is standing on the near end of the damaged bridge.

If I remember right, that vehicle is either a Denmark or Netherlands Leo.

No escape hatch in the bottom of that hull. For some reason (possbile better hull protection against land mines) the Leo 2s and all of the Abrams do not have escape hatchs in the bottom plates.

Hey Leslie Delsing! Are you here Sir?

He is one of the best we had over at the old site when it comes to the Leo 2 type vehicles and the NL armored forces.

Spot Report !
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: And tonights "wierd" picture is..... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:05 am
    ----
To escape that,...

Attempt to manually traverse the hull, pull the turret screens/guards, then escape thru the drivers hatch.

never done the '180',....a couple of '90's, ...but thats the actual technique.

#4: Re: And tonights "wierd" picture is..... Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:48 am
    ----
It's a Swedish Strv 121 which is a Leopard 2A4. This was a training accident at Armor Regiment P4 in the town of Skovde back in March 30th 2000. A make-shift military bridge collapsed and the Leo flipped over, one crewman was lightly injured when he was wedged by badly secured equipment.

Cheers,
Rik

#5: Re: And tonights "wierd" picture is..... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:04 am
    ----
Wow, now thats the kind of specific information I love! The Who, What, Where, When, and How of the picture/situation. I love it when "I" can tell someone that kind of information, thanks.

#6: Re: And tonights "wierd" picture is..... Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:28 am
    ----
Hi Roy and all,
Actually the leo II does have an escape hatch behind the driver's seat.

Check this site members.aol.com/panzer.../leo2.html

Mike Haines

#7: Re: And tonights "wierd" picture is..... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:40 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

If I remember right, that vehicle is either a Denmark or Netherlands Leo.

No escape hatch in the bottom of that hull. For some reason (possbile better hull protection against land mines) the Leo 2s and all of the Abrams do not have escape hatchs in the bottom plates.

Hey Leslie Delsing! Are you here Sir?

Spot Report !
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Hello All,
Just checked in! Returned friday from the gunnery training in Bergen and had to find out how the new forum works with all the ''new'' gadgets...

Its a Swedish Strvgn 121 (Leopard 2A4). Also if you look at the soldier most right in the picture you see te Swedish splinter camo.

The leopard 2 has a escape hatch just behind the drivers seat. It is intended for all of the crew. It can be opened from the inside. Other possibility could be to open the drivers hatch from the outside (its possible) and try to reach the crew from that possition.

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board