Dummies
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Dummies Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:38 pm
    ----
I'll call your halftrack with a Panther and a Tiger Smile

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: Dummies Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:31 pm
    ----
I think i'm seeing double!

(From : www.laynor.org/free_info.php )

#3: Re: Dummies Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:35 pm
    ----
I suppose these are more believable when seen from above.....

(From : www.armyvehicles.dk/dummy1.htm )

(Original caption)

The high weight of the Centurion received in 1953 made the need for a dummy tank clear, and the first of the "Dummy Tanks" was build on a Universal Carrier. The conversion-kit comprised of a tubular steel-frame with a fake turret and stove-pipe gun, all simulating the dimensions of the Centurion. It soon became clear that these contraptions were too large and vulnerable, and their size were reduced to about half. In some instances the lower frame was deleted all together. Around 180 carriers were converted to Dummy Tanks.

#4: Re: Dummies Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:07 pm
    ----
I used to carry a decoy tank, back in the late 80's. The problem was that the demensional panel was of an M60A3 and our entire division was all M1A1's.

#5: Re: Dummies Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:25 pm
    ----
Speaking of carrying tanks.....

#6: Re: Dummies Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:54 pm
    ----
Dontos,
That decoy you mentioned was good for one thing, the Honda generator that came with it for heating it. We used it for everything but the decoy. The idea was good but by the time it was fielded the M1 was the prime tank. 5-17 CAV used them pretty effectively when I was in Korea the first time since they still had M60's until mid 91. Made you action the wrong way just long enough to get blindsided. Biggest give away was unless you made a fake Hoffman launcher on the tube you could tell it was a decoy. Figured that out pretty quick.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board