some find
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: some find Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:56 pm
    ----
this is some find, found on actung panzer site

www.detektorweb.cz/ind...&mm=2&vd=1

dennis

#2: Re: some find Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:59 pm
    ----
Definitely something that doesn't turn up in your garden every day. Looks to have a pretty complete compliment of stowage. The markings are almost suspiciously crisp as well.

#3: Re: some find Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
Hi J. and Doug! Hi Folks!

Very interesting. Hope it ends up in a good museum. I agree the markings do look a bit crisp, but I have noticed that on a T-34 with German markings that was pulled out of a mud hole. I guess it has something to do with the make up of deep mud on the eastern front region. I would think the greatness danger will be the first few weeks after it has be exposed to the air. Something like pulling an object out of the ocean after many years. Hope the folks who did all that work to get it out tried to protect it.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: some find Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:44 pm
    ----
Hi Roy and Guys, my recollection is that this vehicle was found in a peat bog, which preserved it extremely well and has since been sold to a Swiss collector.

Best,
David

#5: Re: some find Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:47 pm
    ----
Is that the StuG that was sold to a private collector in Switzerland a couple of years ago?

Or is this a new vehicle find?

#6: Re: some find Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 am
    ----
This is the vehilce pulled out a few years ago. Although offered around the collectors market for about 300,000 UK/500,000 US it was not allowed to be exported and sits outside a museum in Russia. The rain has washed off the winter white wash exposing the dunkelgelb and a light camo spray in a wavy pattern in green.

David

#7: Re: some find Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:36 am
    ----
That amazing!

Any chance of a more recent photo for a color 'sample'?

If its just sitting, I imagine that corrosion is going to 'gut' the vehicle. A pity.

Don

#8: Re: some find Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:18 pm
    ----
- Tumbleweed
Wonder if they found casulties inside? Crying or Very sad

Don't see any penetrations...maybe it just sank into the funk and was abandoned because recovery wasn't practical at the time?

#9: Re: some find Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:18 pm
    ----
- Tumbleweed
Wonder if they found casulties inside? Crying or Very sad

The Russians I met with told me the crew was inside......

I have some pictures of it in its current location, will try to post them later.

David

#10: Re: some find Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:38 pm
    ----
How was this particular tank found / stumbled upon after 55+ years? Seems pretty amazing, and reminds me of the Sherman I read about that was buried next to a church if I remember correctly that was used as a bulldozer for moving coal. Once they were done with the vehicle, it was put in a hole and buried. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

#11: Re: some find Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:12 pm
    ----
Jeff

Alot of the 'new' finds are directly caused by the possibility of 'hard currency' sale/purchase in some of the areas.

I'll bet many of the vehicles have long since been known by the locals, but there was no reason to do anything about it, do to the effort it would take to recover.

Others are being 'found' by groups looking to cash in. And I imagine some items are being found as development extends into areas untouched.

Personnaly I would love to research a battle and recover possibily historically signifcant vehicles. Especially since as the years go by fewer examples exist, and it would be ashame to allow them to slip into obscurity. Thus a piece of history is lost.

Finding 'In the mood' , remains of Tiger 1 #007 or something along those lines would be real cool! Specific vehicles from specific battles...

Day Dreaming again
Don

#12: Re: some find Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:12 pm
    ----
I remember hearing about the Sherman. I thought it was at a State Hospital or other Facility. I think it was in NY. I just read about it a year or so ago.

#13: Re: some find Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:33 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
How was this particular tank found / stumbled upon after 55+ years? Seems pretty amazing, and reminds me of the Sherman I read about that was buried next to a church if I remember correctly that was used as a bulldozer for moving coal. Once they were done with the vehicle, it was put in a hole and buried. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Jeff,

Check this link:

www.aaftankmuseum.com/...dnance.htm

Cheers,
Rik

#14: Re: some find Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:41 pm
    ----
The StuG in question is still at Kubinka Tank Museum (AFAIK), check the link below. Scroll down to the bottom. Page haven't been updated in ages though.

www.tankmuseum.ru/restor.html

Rik

#15: Re: some find Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:28 pm
    ----
THAT would be the Sherman I was talking about. I thought that was a captivating story. I just find it hard to believe that a tank, or any thing of that size can just dissapear for 50 years, (I'm talking about the battlefield tanks).

-> AFV News Discussion Board