Advanced Mortar System (AMOS)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:16 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
MORTARS!!!!, now you're talking my lingo. I had never seen this beast before but man is it beautiful! Not only can it pump out some serious firepower (steel rain) but she sure looks a lot more comfortable to ride / live in for extended periods over the M106 and M1064 that are currently fielded. Here's some more info I found on this Mortar wonder;

Specifications for the Advanced MOrtar System (AMOS)
Crew 2+1 (commander, gunner + driver)
Main armament 2 x 120mm breech loaded smoothbore mortars (3000mm barrell lenght each)
Automatic loading system
Hydro-pneumatic recoiling system
Secondary armament: machinegun, smoke launchers

High rate of fire thanks to the double barrel concept: 26 rounds in 60 seconds, of which the first 4 in less than 8 seconds
Time to shoot less than 30 seconds
Time to scoot less than 10 seconds

Range over 10 km with standard 120mm ammunition. 15 km with long range ammunition. 5 km with STRIX
Multiple rounds simultaneous impact (MRSI) up to 14 rounds per turret
Large on-board ammunition supply: over 66 rounds payload on XA-185 6X6 vehicle
Ammunition (total on-board) 84 rounds high explosive (HE) and 6 rounds smart guided ammunition
Suitable with standard 120 ammunition as well as smart guided ammunition and cargo munitions

Integrated laser sight and rangefinder, and is thereby capable of independently engaging the enemy
Devastating and accurate direct-fire capability, especially against soft targets and infantry
Computerized fire control which allows pre-programmed fire missions
Low chassis loads thanks to the recoiling mechanism; even a wheeled chassis is usable

Rapid deployment thanks to instrumentation for vehicle location and attitude; well suited for shoot & scoot tactics
Direct fire capability

Full 360° traverse without limitations thanks to turret mounting and recoil mechanism
Traverse and elevation is electrical / manual
Turret weight 4400 kg
-3 to +85 degrees elevation

Ballistic protection against infantry weapons and splinters for crew
Muzzle blast and NBC protection for crew
Add-On armor available as option

New improved dual-purpose cluster munitions are being developed by SM Swiss Ammunition Enterprise with Israel Military Industries (IMI). These consist of 32 dual-purpose grenades, each of which consists of a shaped charge and a pre-fragmented jacket producing high-energy fragments. Integrated self-destruction and self-neutralisation modes result in a high level of safety for advancing troops. The shaped charge can punch through at least 70mm of armor which is enough to knock the top open on a Main Battle Tank (MBT).
Firing the cargo ammunition during the recent demonstration, the AMOS is a new-generation twin-barrel mortar system of extreme versatility. To be tested during the coming winter, the mortar system integrated on the Patria XA-203 wheeled chassis, is expected to enter service with the Finnish Defence Forces around 2004-05 with training beginning in 2003.

#2: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:22 pm
    ----
- Tumbleweed

I knew this topic would give Jeff a full-on 11C "chubby"! Laughing

I'm curious as to what that vehicle is in the background to right. Looks like a bada$$ one-man truck.

#3: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:30 pm
    ----
Truck? TRUCK?!, who cares about that militarized civilian vehicle when you have this beautful Mortar System!? OK, I must confess, I saw it too and did think it looked pretty cool. That tread on the Mortar system, the pads look like M113 type used but I'm not sure about the actual shoes. Its been a while (1998) since "I" broke track. I would like to see the top of the turret and look at the hatches. I haven't found a picture with a MG mounted up top yet.

#4: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:49 pm
    ----
The armoured truck in the background is the Bofors new 155mm gun system under the banner of the ARCHER system, three-man crew, fully automated gun system in high mobility Volvo articulated truck.

Image here..........

If you search under Bofors Archer system you should find a presentation done to the US Army a year or two ago..........

Regards,

BUG

#5: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:25 pm
    ----
Thanks, Bug...that is totally wicked. And should make Jeff feel a little bit better since it's still an indirect fire weapon.

#6: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:49 am
    ----
I feel a little better. I never cared for towed mortar systems. I liked the M252 81mm all assembled and carried in the back of a Hummer. You could whip it into a firing point, the crew would jump out the rear and drag the system out and put it 6 feet from the rear. As the assistant gunner started elevating the system, the gunner would grab the sight unit and mount it to the system. The driver/ammo bearer would shut off the vehicle and grab the aiming poles and run them out. All the while, the fire direction center (FDC) would setting up their M23 Mortar ballistic computers (MBC) while the section sergeant would lay in the section or platoon. The camo net, which was kept rolled length wise on the top of the Hummer would be drapped out over the vehicle and gun system. Ammo was carried in the Hummer so it was already there and in amny instances was already broken down and ready for fireing. Of course wire was run for the TA 312 and eventually buried, M-8 NBC alarm placed out, OP's sent out as well as security. Damn, I'm gonna miss the Mortars!!!, I hope being an 88N offers as much fun, but some how I doubt it.
Any way, if you can drive like a mad man to avoid counter battery or direct fire ( which would be hard towing something) then I dont really want to be involved with it.

#7: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:17 am
    ----
- Tumbleweed
wondering if that's M113 track?
www.primeportal.net/ar...photos.htm

Hi Tumble! Hi Folks!

I don't think that is M113 track. The rubber pad looks to wide. Looks a bit like the newest type of track that is being fitted to the Bradleys and USMC AAAV-7s.

When we look at the newest Leo IIs and Abrams, it looks like many of the NATO armys are starting to use the same type of track block. The US is switching the M113s to the same block the Europian counties have been using for years. Could it possible be that the newest type track going onto the Bradleys and AAAV-7 is some type of NATO standard?

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

#8: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: clausb PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:47 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
I don't think that is M113 track. The rubber pad looks to wide. Looks a bit like the newest type of track that is being fitted to the Bradleys and USMC AAAV-7s.

When we look at the newest Leo IIs and Abrams, it looks like many of the NATO armys are starting to use the same type of track block. The US is switching the M113s to the same block the Europian counties have been using for years. Could it possible be that the newest type track going onto the Bradleys and AAAV-7 is some type of NATO standard?

As the vehicle is a Hägglunds CV90 series, I guess it is CV90 tracks Smile .

Probably some kind of Diehl track which seems to be very popular these days:

www.diehl-remscheid.de...06&L=1

Claus B

#9: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:48 am
    ----
[img][/img]
I found this picture that was albeled "Land Bofors Archer Artillery" but I found it under a "Mortar" search. This looks more like a wheeled howitzer. Any ideas?

#10: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:40 am
    ----
This is "a self-propelled 155mm L52 automatic howitzer incorporated into a modified armoured commercial six-wheel-drive (6×6) articulated Volvo A30D truck chassis". Apparently it has a range of over 50 kilometers. (!!!!!)

#11: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:19 pm
    ----
From the Bofors website:

#12: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:18 am
    ----
The presentation material (Powerpoint presentation) to the US Army is here.........

www.dtic.mil/ndia/2005...nefors.pdf

The system is also one of the favourites for the Australian LAND 17 programme to (partially) replace current arty (Hamel Light 105mm Guns and M198 155mm howitzers) with, most probably a truck-mounted 155mm gun in armoured chassis, with a barrel of at least 52 calibres. Enhanced 155mm ammo is also part of this programme, probably Excalibur rounds.

Regards,

BUG

#13: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 am
    ----
That truck is wicked cool. I can think of all sorts of neat stuff I'd like to put on the back of that thing.

...and speaking of "guntruck" potential!

#14: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:40 am
    ----
"Wicked Cool" is right on! I love this system. As much as I try to follow the "Buy USA" slogan, sometimes other countries have military equipment that make me drool and just seem to make sense. Paladin is long in the tooth, we should look at this type of toy for the future. Don't get me wrong, I love sticking with a proven item, but sometimes its time to improve and move-on.

#15: Re: Advanced Mortar System (AMOS) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:04 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Very interesting system. The US would never go for it, will not fit inside a C-130. Notice in the spec.s that it needs a A400M for air transport. The A400M will (in time and if it ever flys) be about equal to the C-17 Globemaster III.

Thanks for all the nice photos Folks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board