It's time for a vehicle quiz
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:54 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
If they couldn't free-wheel while on the ground due to friction with the square block of metal, how is it that they could roll forward?

The weight of the vehicle bearing down (the box section) on the tops of the lower wheels makes the wheels rotate as the vehicle pulls itself across them.

Get a ball and place it on a table, put your hand flat on the top of the ball and push your hand forward, the ball rotates in the direction of travel.

Same principle.

#17: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:31 pm
    ----
Jeeze,

I can't believe I won- this is a first for me. Have to admit I did research some amphibs a couple of days ago, and it was still relativley fresh on my mind.

I'd like to thank my parents, George Bradford for providing the forum... Ooops, sorry, different venue Wink

Thanks for the quiz, and the prize, the PM has been sent.

Cheers

Jens O.

#18: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:23 am
    ----
- Jinx
I found some images of the XM759 online. These are captures from a PDF document. I hope they are not too big (the original document is about 8MB in size). Hope they help.

Here is a link to the original document. Warning, though: it took a bit of conjuring to get it to load. There might be some corruption in the file.

www.almc.army.mil/alog...6_69so.pdf

But everything in there is in these captures. And in a more manageable size, too.

Holy crap!
Jinx, this is amazing. I think you have more info on this thing than the guy who owns it. I'm going to download the article to send it to him. Thanks for digging it up.

#19: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:50 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
- Jinx
I found some images of the XM759 online. These are captures from a PDF document. I hope they are not too big (the original document is about 8MB in size). Hope they help.

Here is a link to the original document. Warning, though it took a bit of conjuring to get it to load. There might be some corruption in the file.

http//www.almc.army.mil/alog/PDFDocs/1969sep_oct/artp16_69so.pdf

But everything in there is in these captures. And in a more manageable size, too.

Holy crap!
Jinx, this is amazing. I think you have more info on this thing than the guy who owns it. I'm going to download the article to send it to him. Thanks for digging it up.

'Get a ball and place it on a table, put your hand flat on the top of the ball and push your hand forward, the ball rotates in the direction of travel.

Same principle.'

I don't think it is. You are applying an external propulsive force.. What you need to do is have a string to an axle of a wheel with a book sitting on top of it and pull the string towards the rear (The direction the chain is pulling the wheel and see what happens. I'll admit right now I'm unsure. Maybe I'll have some time this weekend to try it out. And it's been too many years since I took a statics and Dynamics course to figure it out mathematically.

#20: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:59 am
    ----
Heres a link to a photo of the weird vehicle from a cheesie movie, Damnation Alley.

Damnation Alley Vehicle

#21: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:07 am
    ----
- Dontos
Heres a link to a photo of the weird vehicle from a cheesie movie, Damnation Alley.

Damnation Alley Vehicle

"DamnationGavin"?

#22: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:09 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures

Holy crap!

Not a problem. I'm happy you found it useful.

If you have any trouble downloading that file, please let me know. There are other options. But the quality in the PDF is really no better than the JPGs, so if you download those you already have the entire document.

#23: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- Dontos

Damnation Alley Vehicle

"DamnationGavin"?

Naw,....it would never fit into a C130!!

#24: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:15 am
    ----
- Dontos

Damnation Alley Vehicle

And here are links with more information and photos :

www.allenagenda.com/alley.htm

www.snowcrest.net/fox/landmaster/

(What a strange thing!)

#25: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:19 am
    ----
[img][/img]
Would this be the "Screw Tread Vehicle" that someone asked about earlier in this thread? I dont know anything about this vehicle and this is the only picture I have of this vehicle. Does anyone know anything about it?

#26: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:01 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button

Would this be the "Screw Tread Vehicle" that someone asked about earlier in this thread? I dont know anything about this vehicle and this is the only picture I have of this vehicle. Does anyone know anything about it?

There are a number of similar vehicles that use Archimedes Screw Propulsion. The first time i saw one was on an episode of Junkyard Wars. But all it did was churn around and make a big mess.

Here is a little one you can take home. It's called the Tyco Terrain Twister. Remote controlled!

#27: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:05 am
    ----
These people seem to have made a big one work :

www.icechallenger.com/...hallenger/

#28: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:57 pm
    ----
Heers onethat is tried and true. It was made by the Snow-Motor CO. of Detroit. They took a Fordson tractor and replaced the wheels with the screws. I am trying to find other pictures which show a nice restored one.

#29: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:03 pm
    ----
I'm still trying to get a grip on how the Archimedes screw principle doesn't give away more than it recoups. WAY higher friction loss than with balloon tires, sure to be hard on improved or unimproved road surfaces, daunting replacement issues if damaged...
Apart from a very narrow range of applications (icey, swampy stuff) I can't see any advantages to such a system not greatly outweighed by the flexibility of any number of wheeled or tracked configurations. Which I submit is exactly why we don't see more of them.

An interesting solution to a problem with better answers...

#30: Re: It's time for a vehicle quiz Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:38 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
An interesting solution to a problem with better answers...

Yeah, it was a pretty screwy idea from the start.

-> AFV News Discussion Board