another qiuz
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: another qiuz Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:38 am
    ----

Hey guys another qiuz for yall .Can yall guess what these two plains are and when.

#2: Re: another qiuz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:47 am
    ----
The B 29 looks like 'Fi Fi' from the Commemoritive Air Force. (I saw 'her' fly in an air show in 1977-78 in El Paso Texas, when it was the Confederate Air Force. Along with a B17 & a B24 as I recall..)

My guess is Midland Texas or Harrlingon(sp) Texas.

#3: Re: another qiuz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:47 am
    ----
Tail not big enough for B-50....so B-29.
and P-80 Shooting Star (Trainer variant...so T-80, T-33, something.... I guess).

Not "Fifi", unless before being painted. Don't think this is Harlingen, either.

My pic of Fifi rotating in '88. This is the show where we lost the A-20 Havoc and pilot Max Gardner.

#4: Re: another qiuz Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:58 am
    ----
...noting lack of turrets on the B-29, could this have been an unrestored Enola Gay or Bocks Car or one of those?! I know the markings are wrong and all, but maybe while languishing on later service...

#5: Re: another qiuz Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:49 am
    ----
My son posted this response on "Officers Club" earlier after we did a little research into the picture.
My dad and I just did a little research ant found out this info on the picture. The B-29 is actually a Bell-Atlanta B-29-60BA Superfortress, and it is listed as being on display at the SAC museum at Offutt AFB, NE., before being moved to a museum west of Omaha. So I guess all these planes might still be there.
The T-33A-5-LO was one of 260 built in its contract run in 1948.
The plane behind the B29 appears to be tail number 0-30198. If that is correct, it is a Boeing KC-97G Stratofrieghter, one of 259 built in its contract run in 1953.
We went to Joe Baughers site and looked up the tail numbers, a very good site for research.

#6: Re: another qiuz Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:23 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button

The plane behind the B29 appears to be tail number 0-30198. If that is correct, it is a Boeing KC-97G Stratofrieghter, one of 259 built in its contract run in 1953.
We went to Joe Baughers site and looked up the tail numbers, a very good site for research.

You are correct. The "flying boom" refuelling probe is clearly visible just above the fuselage star on the B-29. Also visible just ahead of the B-29's nose is the tip of the portside "probe and drogue" hose reel pod.

David

#7: Re: another qiuz Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:27 pm
    ----
I am also curious about the aircraft parked just beyond the KC-97. The tail looks big enough to be a B-36. And what about the aircraft whose nose is just visible above the T-33? The nose high attitude would seem to indicate either a tail-dragger or maybe a B-47.

David

#8: Re: another qiuz Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:58 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I noticed the nose of B-47 peaking in on the right side, just above the T-33
s rudder.

That rudder sticking up from the far side of the KC-97 with the black tip, could that possible be a B-36 out there?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: another qiuz Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:08 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

I noticed the nose of B-47 peaking in on the right side, just above the T-33
s rudder.

That rudder sticking up from the far side of the KC-97 with the black tip, could that possible be a B-36 out there?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Yep, B-36....note contour of rudder within the vert. stab. and the (just visible) rearward facing pod thingy below it.

#10: Re: another qiuz Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:15 pm
    ----
- Dontos
The B 29 looks like 'Fi Fi' from the Commemoritive Air Force. (I saw 'her' fly in an air show in 1977-78 in El Paso Texas, when it was the Confederate Air Force. Along with a B17 & a B24 as I recall..)

Speaking of "FiFi", she staged through Bowling Green, KY, back about 1991 or '92 along with the CAF's "B-24" (actually an LB-30 transport version). My brother loaned me his camera to get some shots of her departing. I was close enough behind her when the engines were cranked over that my brother got his camera back with authentic droplets of B-29 engine oil and carbon particles included.

David

#11: Re: another qiuz Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:19 pm
    ----
- David_Reasoner
- Dontos

Speaking of "FiFi", she staged through Bowling Green, KY, back about 1991 or '92 along with the CAF's "B-24" (actually an LB-30 transport version). My brother loaned me his camera to get some shots of her departing. I was close enough behind her when the engines were cranked over that my brother got his camera back with authentic droplets of B-29 engine oil and carbon particles included.

David

"Diamond Lil", perhaps? From Airpower show in '88 at Harlingen which I attended...

#12: Re: another qiuz Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:27 pm
    ----
Yep, that would be the one. Although done up as a B-24D similar to those of the Halpro detachment (first USAAF Ploesti raid), she is actually a much rarer LB-30 transport version. She has been through the local airport here enroute to and from airshows on several occasions, most recently I think in 2003, when she inadvertantly "buzzed" my house. The sound of those four old radial engines definitely have a way of getting your attention....

David

#13: Re: another qiuz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:29 pm
    ----
Of course that is the B24 I saw in 1977. I forgot her name. Seeing your picture reminded me of that show....

I know I have some ancient photos of Biggs Army Airfield with all the different CAF aircraft on the Tarmac....

Guess I need to dig around a little bit...

That reminds me, I had photos of the 747 w/ space shuttle mounted when it had to make an unannounced stop at Biggs AAF back in 1979-1980 or so.

Thats when they (NASA) discovered that the heat tiles were falling off...

A friend found a piece of heat tile in his back yard, when the shuttle flew over his house on final approach at Biggs. I had a photo of that too, let me start digging!!

#14: Re: another qiuz Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:58 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
That tail in the background would appear to be a B36, more accurately, a Convair B36J-5-CF Peacemaker built in 1952, under contract number 52-2222/2226. However, "J" models used the same serials as the "H" models, making what would have been tail number 22226, the one that seems to appear, 22367.
I have attached this photo for size comparison between B29 and B36. I can't make out these tail numbers but this is suppossed to have been taken at Roswell, when B36's were replaceing the B29's, anyone know the time period, I dont.

#15: Re: another qiuz Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:55 pm
    ----
Probably early to mid 1950's. The B-36's service life was fairly short, being replaced by the B-52 from the late '50's. Would have to dig into my library at home to be more specific than that.

David

-> AFV News Discussion Board