Name For The M114
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Name For The M114 Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:27 pm
    ----
Decisions...decisions. Those are some very tough choices there.

#2: Re: Name For The M114 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:24 pm
    ----
NOT FAIR!!! Too many GOOD choices....

#3: Re: Name For The M114 Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:51 pm
    ----
I was just thinking of something. Since this is a rare event, i figured i should write it down so there'd be some record of it.

Isn't it traditional to name military vehicles after people who are.....ummmm.....no longer living?

And if Sgt. Lingle does win this election.....and early results suggest that he will.....and since he has provided recent evidence of being very much alive.....ummmm.....errrr.....

Do you see where i am going with this.....?

(Please tell me you'll at least give him a running head start, i beg of you!!!!!)

#4: Re: Name For The M114 Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:56 pm
    ----
[I typed it. I can delete it too!]

Last edited by mike_Duplessis on Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Name For The M114 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:16 pm
    ----
Jinx,

I'm quite sure Gen Bradley was still around when they named the M2/M3 after him- although my memory may be playing tricks on me again.

Just in case, we'll be giving Roy a head start Wink

Cheers

Jens O.

#6: Re: Name For The M114 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:31 pm
    ----
- Jinx
I was just thinking of something. Since this is a rare event, i figured i should write it down so there'd be some record of it.

Isn't it traditional to name military vehicles after people who are.....ummmm.....no longer living?

And if Sgt. Lingle does win this election.....and early results suggest that he will.....and since he has provided recent evidence of being very much alive.....ummmm.....errrr.....

Do you see where i am going with this.....?

(Please tell me you'll at least give him a running head start, i beg of you!!!!!)

Hi Jinx! Hi Folks!

It works both ways. The person or the vehicle, which ever dies first. In this case the vehicle is dead!

Many thanks to all for your support with this effort.
Roy A. Lingle
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Name For The M114 Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:15 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Jinx,

I'm quite sure Gen Bradley was still around when they named the M2/M3 after him- although my memory may be playing tricks on me again.

Just in case, we'll be giving Roy a head start Wink

Cheers

Jens O.

I was curious, so i did a little research on both General Bradley and the vehicle that bears his name. Seems the M2 entered service in 1981.....the same year General Bradley died (on April 08 ).

Not sure how to call that one.....

- Roy_A_Lingle
It works both ways. The person or the vehicle, which ever dies first. In this case the vehicle is dead!

Many thanks to all for your support with this effort.

I voted for you.

Just please don't think i was trying to hurry up your demise!

#8: Re: Name For The M114 Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:49 am
    ----
Gen. Stan Sheridan asked Bradley for permission to name the M2 in his honor in 1977. Bradley didn't respond, and Sheridan was told by Army Chief of Staff Gen. Fred Weyland to drop the issue until the vehicle was proven successful. The BFV was officially christened in October 1981, six months after Bradley's death. Hunnicutt says the M3 was originally to be named after Gen. Jacob Devers, but the similarity of the M2 and M3 resulted in them both being named Bradley. A quick search of a couple of other sources didn't turn up anything about Devers, however.

#9: Re: Name For The M114 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:34 pm
    ----
The miltary has a history of trying to make failed naming attempts completely disappear.

The first name for the MX missle was supposed to be the Vigilant. It made it through the entire process and was to be announced to the press with a lot of Fanfare. A few hours before the big press briefing there was a run through with SAC missle crews who were going to be the first crews in the audience. The gala show was going fine until the big unveiling of the logo and name VIGILANT. From the back of the room one (unidentified) voice was heard "Gee now we can call ourselves vigilantes". A hush fell over the room, the Commander of SAC looked over at his press officer and the Boeing representatives and the show was stopped. All the handouts were gathered up (including the freebee stuff given out by Boeing). The crews were told that there was to be no talk of that name for the missle. The later press conference was cancelled. Not long after there was a new press announcement with less fanfare when the MX was named PEACEKEEPER. A few of the 'goodies' that boeing had given out did not get collected and destroyed. There were patches as well as brochures and decals. I have seen one of each that were snuck out of the auditorium.
(weapons troops are sneaky, the chair next to this person was empty so he gathered up the freebies that were on it. When they left the room he had his set tucked away and handed in the other set. No one left the room without turning in a set or going through a severe talking to)

SAC never had much of a sense of humor.

#10: Re: Name For The M114 Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:03 pm
    ----
- bsmart
A few of the 'goodies' that boeing had given out did not get collected and destroyed. There were patches as well as brochures and decals. I have seen one of each that were snuck out of the auditorium.

Sounds like something good to sell on eBay.

#11: Re: Name For The M114 Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:24 pm
    ----
D'oh. I still haven't got the hang of this new board yet. Didn't ever see the selection of names to choose from up top!
M114 it is then. I've gotta go with A, though since it was supposedly ampibious I would've gone with M114 "Lemming"

-> AFV News Discussion Board