DELETED BY POSTER
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Attn: DONTOS Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:58 pm
    ----
He won't be able to get into the motor pool or close enough to photograph. If he could get in, he'd have to sign a non-disclosure statement and he would not be able to talk about what he sees let alone have a camera or even cell phone camera (although the visual imagery guys are filming for historical purposes and possible press release in the future).

#2: Re: Attn: DONTOS Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:19 pm
    ----
- Sabot
He won't be able to get into the motor pool or close enough to photograph. If he could get in, he'd have to sign a non-disclosure statement and he would not be able to talk about what he sees let alone have a camera or even cell phone camera (although the visual imagery guys are filming for historical purposes and possible press release in the future).

...and Roger....

#3: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:47 pm
    ----
Somehow, I think I missed something while I was away skiing..... Sad

Send a PM, 'Weed!

#4: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:56 am
    ----
TW

There was a news story on a local TV morning show, featuring <DELETED POST> Mr. Green in the Motor Pool. 'Mine proof vehicles' seemed to be the focus. Combating IED's.

'Sparkie' would have been proud Evil or Very Mad

Sadly there seemed to be no 'Lingles' present.

Several wheeled vehicles shown also.

#5: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm
    ----
The Knox homepage has a link to the vehicle demo link at the bottom center of the page. "TRADOC Comprehensive Force Protection Initiative Vehicle and Equipment Demonstration"
www.knox.army.mil

#6: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:41 pm
    ----
The demo itself was never sensitive, the participating vehicles were closehold information. Several vehicles not shown in the video and to the media yesterday are sensitive information. The 60 mph convoy down the WK Parkway will be open.

#7: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:54 pm
    ----
AP Article in Army Times:

Armored vehicle makers show wares at Knox

By Will Graves
Associated Press

FORT KNOX, Ky. � When the Army launched the Comprehensive Force Protection Initiative last fall, it placed a call far and wide looking for ways to better protect soldiers fighting the war on terror.

Help may soon be coming from some pretty interesting places.

Vendors from as far away as Australia and Namibia have been in Fort Knox for the last two weeks, having their vehicles put through the paces by soldiers who have served and even been wounded in Iraq as the Army looks for new ways to handle the threat of roadside bombs in Iraq.

Maj. Gen. Robert Williams, the Fort Knox commanding general, wouldn’t call the maneuvers the 15 vehicles from 11 different defense contractors have been but through during their time on the Kentucky base “tests� but instead “demonstrations.�

The vehicles were put through a driver’s training course, a mobility course and live-fire drills. The idea, Williams said, is to find out what kind of armored vehicles are now on the market and if they could be used to quickly address the needs of soldiers currently fighting in Iraq.

“This is off the shelf technology that is available,� Williams said. “In an interim term we could have them (in combat) fairly quickly.�

However, Williams stressed the demonstration was simply about research. He wouldn’t put a timetable on when � or even if � some of the vehicles shown at the base on Sunday would one day be working for the Army in Iraq or Afghanistan.

“This isn’t an acquisition, but a look at capabilities,� Williams said.

Former combat soldiers from the 3rd Infantry, as well as members of the National Guard and soldiers currently recovering from injuries at Walter Reed Hospital were involved in the demonstration, giving officials feedback on everything from placement of armor to the noise in the back of the vehicles.

“In the past, we took for granted that the back of the vehicle would be very noisy,� Williams said. “What we’ve found down range is that it’s very useful for them to have a vehicle that is quiet inside. ... Some of these vehicles are very quiet in the back, they allow the squad leader or the platoon leader to converse with his soldiers prior to dismount and prior to operations.�

The vehicles were divided up into four categories: scout and reconnaissance, convoy protection, infantry carries and roadside bomb detection and neutralization.

The demonstration is a way for the Army to see what’s available, but also a business opportunity for the companies who volunteered to show their wares.

The skull and crossbones license plate on the front of the Wer’Wolf � an armored vehicle designed to lead convoys across dangerous terrain in war zones � was Johan Terblanche’s idea. So was the “Fill ’Er Up� sticker over the gas tank.

It’s the first time WMF � a defense company owned by the Namibia government � has ever brought some of its hardware to American soil. The mine protected vehicle, which can carry up to 14 soldiers and weighs 23 tons, was shipped from the small country in southwest Africa to South Africa, then Amsterdam, then Chicago before arriving at Fort Knox.

It’s an expensive undertaking, but one WMF officials decided was necessary to get the company noticed.

“It’s very difficult market to get yourself into when you don’t have a U.S. partner,� Terblanche said. “We wanted to come and show the equipment and see if this is what they need or what we can do to better.�

Most of the vendors stressed the improved armor capabilities and maneuverability as a major selling point.

“Soldiers like things that go fast and can get them out of trouble quick,� said Dave Treuting, whose company, Textron Marine Land Systems, showcased the ASV ICV, an infantry carrier. “People aren’t going to take you tank on tank. So they’ve got to go to side-car mines, IEDs. ... It’s a little chess game. You’ve got to have the wherewithal to get your soldiers to do their mission and then come back from the mission.�

Iraqi insurgents are using anti-tank mines and making bombs that can penetrate the Humvee’s current armor. Among the more deadly devices are explosives shaped to funnel a blast through Humvee plating � sophisticated bombs officials suspect are imported from neighboring countries like Iran.

Commanders in Iraq and at the Pentagon have debated how to further improve the Humvee to respond to the changing threat. The Army also has tested several vehicles to replace it, but a successor has not been developed.

U.S. troops in the past have hardened soft-skin Humvees by using upgrade kits or by attaching spare steel to their vehicles, and the Army’s chief of staff now requires that all combat vehicles in Iraq be armored.

Williams said the demonstrations at the base are not designed to find a replacement for the Humvee, and pointed out that all the Humvees currently in Iraq now have level-two protection.

Some units in Iraq, including the 3rd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division based at Fort Campbell, have developed programs of their own to improve armored Humvees with additional armor, but such programs have not been adopted Army wide.

The military has more than 25,000 armored Humvees in the country. Williams said the Army is currently working on two programs to develop new light tactical vehicles, perhaps as an eventual successor to the Humvee. A truck program is also being considered.

#8: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:05 pm
    ----
Wave 3 TV has a short video piece of the demo. I think they filmed it on Sunday: www.wave3.com/global/c...asp?c=1180
It's down towards the bottom of the list.

#9: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:49 pm
    ----
This scanned photo is on the cover of the 9 March Ft Knox 'Turret':

Ft Knox 'Turret' Online

#10: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:23 pm
    ----
Just got an advance copy of the final video. Looks pretty good.

#11: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:07 pm
    ----
Driving around town today.

I watched a 'BAE' M113A3 with all the ACAV kit items, leaving on a flatbed truck. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. It was interesting.

Definitely not a standard "Sparkie" ride.....

Sorry for the lack of photos.

#12: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:11 am
    ----
- Dontos

I watched a 'BAE' M113A3 with all the ACAV kit items, leaving on a flatbed truck. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. It was interesting.

Definitely not a standard "Sparkie" ride.....

It has the lengthened hull with six road wheels. They called it the MCV.

#13: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:14 am
    ----
- Dontos

I watched a 'BAE' M113A3 with all the ACAV kit items, leaving on a flatbed truck. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me.

Shame on you! Laughing

#14: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:26 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
- Dontos

I watched a 'BAE' M113A3 with all the ACAV kit items, leaving on a flatbed truck. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me.

Shame on you! Laughing

I KNOW!!! It won't happen again.

#15: Re: DELETED BY POSTER Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:29 am
    ----
- Dontos
- toadmanstankpictures
- Dontos

Shame on you! Laughing

I KNOW!!! It won't happen again.

We'll let it slide this time. Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board