New airplane to figure out....
-> Officer's Club

#1: New airplane to figure out.... Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:49 am
    ----
[img][/img]
For you guys that know your planes, here's another one to tell me what it is.

#2: Re: New airplane to figure out.... Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:56 am
    ----
Hmm... tricky...

I'll figure it out, you just wait! Wink

#3: Re: New airplane to figure out.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:02 am
    ----
Oh, my, have you stumped momentarily huh? I was begining to think you knew all these right away, I guess my son found a good one huh?

#4: Re: New airplane to figure out.... Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:25 am
    ----
Yepper, I can tell you what the plane is. It is a Martin B-12A. It was built in the 1920s and 1930s as a bomber and coastal patrol plane. The Army was responsible at that time for patrolling the coastal waters, and later that job was taken over by the Navy. It is the production model of the YB-12. Only 25 were built, with serial #33-163 to 33-177 and later between serial #33-258 and 33-267.

It had the following specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
Span: 70 ft. 6 in.
Length: 44 ft. 9 in.
Height: 15 ft. 5 in.
Weight: 12,980 lbs. gross
Armament: Three .30-cal. machine guns and 2,260 lbs. of bombs
Engine: Two Pratt & Whitney R-1690-11 Hornet radials of 700 hp. each

PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed: 212 mph
Cruising speed: 165 mph
Service ceiling: 24,200 ft.
Range: 1240 miles maximum with normal bomb load (1,830 miles ferry range)

Here are a couple pictures that I found of the plane.

#5: Re: New airplane to figure out.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:36 am
    ----
Ohhhh sooooo close, but not it.

#6: Re: New airplane to figure out.... Author: NS38th_AristaeusLocation: Pensacola, FL. PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:12 pm
    ----
~S~ All
I have always seen this plane refered to as the Martin B-10. They were used along with the P-26 PEASHOOTER in the defence of the Phillipines during the Japanes invasion.
I did not know there was a later variant.

#7: Re: New airplane to figure out.... Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:19 pm
    ----
B-10 then. The B-12 is basically the same plane as the B-10, but with an upgraded engine.

And no Jeff, I am by no means and aircraft rec guy, lol. I can usually notice specific things about different planes that others may miss, which could tell me something about it, but most of those other ones took a bit of research to figure out. (If you think I'm even somewhat decent, you should see the guys on the flying team here at my university!)

With this one, I had figured out its era because of it's mono-wing, all metal design (post-barnstorming days) and the big radial engines, along with the old ADF navigation (pre-WWII). So that got me to the right era, and I had been guessing that that big window in from would be good in an anti-sub role, so I got the coastal patrol right. But I thought it was too small for a bomber, so -1 for me, lol.

Anyways, this one goes wingnut, I wouldn't have figured it out anytime soon except for him. Good job mate!

#8: Re: New airplane to figure out.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:23 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
Here is what I found with this particular airplane;
MARTIN B-10B
U.S. Army Air Corps Martin (Model 139) B-10B assigned to the 28th Bombardment Squadron, 4th Composite Group and based at Clark Field, Luzon, Philippine Islands in November 1939. A total of 105 B-10Bs were delivered by Martin.

-> Officer's Club