I am really stumped
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#1: I am really stumped Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:34 pm
    ----
OK here's what I got and I am out of ideas:

4-6 weeks ago I was running Papyrus NASCAR 2003 in a league on 1600x1200 with max settings and it worked great, never had a problem. After the league finished I didn't run it up until a couple days ago, now when you run the game, everything works fine when you load it, go to the race, go to the garage area, everything until you hit the "Drive" button, then the whole system crashes and the PC reboots...hmmm weird..

So I loaded up EA's NASCAR Thunder 2003 and guess what, it did the same thing..ok really weird...

Well then I decided just for kicks I would reinstall Papyrus and see what happend, no changes, same thing..

then i tried updating my drivers, no changes
So I rolled back my drivers to a previous edition I knew worked, no changes (And yes I used detonator every time)

OK so maybe I've got some sort of hardware issue.

Memory is easy enought to check:
removed one memory stick, no changes
swapped memory sticks, no changes
Swapped memory slots, no changes

irritating, ok maybe my vid card is going out:
Swapped back to my old 5700VE, no changes

well about a week ago I put in a new backup drive, a Seagate 80gb. now there's no way that could be causing an issue could it?
unplugged the backup, no changes
plugged in the old 40gb backup, no changes

now the weird part is so far the NASCAR games are the only ones that seem to have issues, my kids & I have been playing Need for Speed Most Wanted day after day and its working fine. Played Tiger Woods 2006 the other day and never hiccuped, so whats the deal????

Like I said, I'm really stumped and out of ideas..anybody????
Need help!!!!

#2: Re: I am really stumped Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:42 pm
    ----
Hey HangMan... have you installed the Nascar 2003 1.2 patch?

#3: Re: I am really stumped Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:45 pm
    ----
yup, patch has been installed for some time, tried both ways, no changes.

#4: Re: I am really stumped Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:16 pm
    ----
well maybe its just not the nascars sims..just fired up FS( and looks like hammered sh**...it runs but it looks bad, and I mean bad..even when you change the display settings nothing changes, it looks exactly the same so I've got some sort of hardware issue I believe..maybe my power supply???...

#5: Re: I am really stumped Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:23 pm
    ----
Yep, I would check your power supply....use a program called Motherboard Monitor...you can get it here MBM5

#6: Re: I am really stumped Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:46 pm
    ----
This may help you as well.

#7: Re: I am really stumped Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:48 pm
    ----
Also check your DirectX settngs and make sure it's up to date. DX has issues have caused problems like you describe (hanging/rebooting).

G'luck!

#8: Re: I am really stumped Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:05 pm
    ----
thanks for all the tips, Hit the link you posted doesn't get me to where I think you thought it would,

Shades thx for that link, according to it I would need about a 350watt and I'm running a 550 watt so I'm good there as long as its running good.

Stoopy I'm runnning DX 9.0C but I'm gonna reinstall it & see just to be sure...

If that don't work I'll put my old power supply in & see if it changes..

#9: Re: I am really stumped Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
ok, update

Changed power supply, no change

reinstalled DX9c just to be sure, no change..

lol..man ain't this fun...I am so at a loss..

#10: Re: I am really stumped Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:10 pm
    ----
Try running a check for viruses...there could be something there hoggin all the resource's

#11: Re: I am really stumped Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:22 pm
    ----
Try the sound drivers stranger things have happened

#12: Re: I am really stumped Author: 401RCAF_SteveoLocation: Albuquerque PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
I had a problem with nascar a long time ago & some of your problem sounds familiar...only some however. Anyway, my problem was with the sound, & when I entered the driving part of the game it would freak out. Try going to options & turning the sound off (uncheck sound) & see if that has any affect.

#13: Re: I am really stumped Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:31 pm
    ----
you know thats not too crazy, I did notice that sometimes when you went into the garage area there was a really odd & loud Buzzing sound..couldn't hear anything else..worth a shot...I'll let you know

Update: I had an extra Sound card so I disabled the onboard audio & threw that puppy in & fired it up...boogity boogity boogity it seems like that may have been the issues..I hit "drive" about a half dozen times and it worked every time...I knew you guys would come up with the answer..lol..if it acts up I'll be back..

Thanks!

#14: Re: I am really stumped Author: 401RCAF_SteveoLocation: Albuquerque PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:59 pm
    ----
It's official, me & Maddog are brilliant. That's a scary thought Shocked .

#15: Re: I am really stumped Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:01 pm
    ----
rofl

-> Hardware