Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:58 am
    ----
Saw it on the BBC news about the crisis in Manilla.

I was able to find these picture.

Is there anything more pointless, except for I supppose in this crisis, than an amphibious vehicle in urban camo? Okay, I suppose you could be doing a river crossing in an urban environment, but....

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT4 in urban camo... Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:16 am
    ----
Small pics, but might it be an LVTH6A1? 105 mm howitzer isn't bad, but a max of 0.625" of armor is...

#3: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT4 in urban camo... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:30 am
    ----
- Chris_C
Small pics, but might it be an LVTH6A1? 105 mm howitzer isn't bad, but a max of 0.625" of armor is...

Good point, still part of the LVT5 family though - my mistake LVT5 family not an LVT4...

Neil

#4: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo... Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:02 am
    ----
LVTH6A1's? I know where about 10 of 'em sit......complete!

Yeah, that place that shall not be named again... Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:23 am
    ----
Actually you've stumbled upon the secret 'retake the 6 East Coast Ports from the Al-Qadia infested Abu Dhabi Port Authority' assault team.

The initial assault was planned with the LVTs rumbling out of Curtis Bay Coast Guard Yard, across Fort McHenry into Baltimore Harbor and assaulting the Dundalk Marine Terminal (Can't let anything with Marine in the title stay in foreign hands). This would be accomplished with Lee Greenwood blaring from 100,000 car radios over 98Rock across the Baltimore area

#6: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:45 pm
    ----
Ah yes, I recall one or two coup attempts ago seeing TV news footage of one of those M113-based Phillipine army IFVs in the same full urban camou scheme. I must say with that scheme it appears quite effective when the vehicle's sitting still. I can imagine circling fighter/bombers having some difficulty picking it out amid the ground clutter. But when its on the move a vehicle painted that way stands out like parade float!

#7: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo... Author: palic PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:12 pm
    ----
Hello from a total newbie here in this forum.
When speaking about such "funny" camoed LVTH6 amtracs I have something to add.
Only two vehicles were activated (reportedly) and painted with obvious inspiration with UK Berlin brigade urban colours.
Cargo ramps of both two vehicles were reinforced with tracklinks probably in the aim to provide extra anti RPG protection capability. One of these vehicles has been decorated with "something like an anchor shaped artwork" on the cargo bay ramp. Black spray has been used for this decoration...
LVTH6 of Phillippines Marines are not expected to show their amphibious capability advantage, they have been activated due to their arty abilities.
There was a discussion in possible activation of LVTP5A1 for the same duty, according to local sources two LVTH6 is enough.

For those who are a bit surprised with me as a greenhorn here, I am a modeler from the Czech Republic, with previous carreer with armoured recce.
I made an 8 month tour in KFOR Main, Pristina, Kosovo and I really enjoyed cooperation with and friendly attitudes of US guys working for either allied or US structures there in Pristina.
Hope I could be good member of this community. The time will show...

#8: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:21 pm
    ----
- palic

For those who are a bit surprised with me as a greenhorn here, I am a modeler from the Czech Republic, with previous carreer with armoured recce.
I made an 8 month tour in KFOR Main, Pristina, Kosovo and I really enjoyed cooperation with and friendly attitudes of US guys working for either allied or US structures there in Pristina.
Hope I could be good member of this community. The time will show...

Greetings, Palic...
No surprize here...we welcome "greenhorns" and anyone else with information to contribute, as you apparently do. We look forward to your participation and....Welcome!
Doug
(imagine a 'Budvar' here....)

#9: Re: Now I've seen everything - an LVT5 in urban camo... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
Hi Palic! Hi Folks!

Hey Palic! Welcome to the Board, the more the marrier!

Armored Recce, hey! The more scouts the better!

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board