Online model store question
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Online model store question Author: kmeyer PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:39 pm
    ----
Anybody ever order from the following website:

www.greatmodels.com/

#2: Re: Online model store question Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:14 pm
    ----
Yeah, I've made a couple of orders with them. Mostly stuff I can't get from Squadron. The fill rate has been pretty good and the response time so-so. Be sure to fill out the info regarding backordered items in their on-line order form, otherwise your entire order may be held up due to one out of stock item. Otherwise no problems with them.

David

#3: Re: Online model store question Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:30 pm
    ----
I have only placed my orders by phone, that way I know if it's in stock and ready to be shipped. Excellent service and arrives packaged very good!

#4: Re: Online model store question Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:36 am
    ----
I've had good luck with them too, but be aware that they keep your backorder on file until you clear it, I had an item I ordered a year ago that got back ordered arrive last week, they got one in and shipped it to me, I had forgot I even ordered it.

#5: Re: Online model store question Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:27 am
    ----
My experience with them was less than stellar. I've ordered a few things listed as "in stock" because the items were marginally cheaper than Squadron's. It took a couple of weeks to arrive and only a couple items were shipped, the rest listed as out of stock. I had to reorder the items from Squadron.

If I had ordered all the items from Squadron in the first place, I would have had all the items and paid around $4-5 more but saved on shipping by only ordering from one retailer.

#6: Re: Online model store question Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:30 pm
    ----
- ChrisC
I've had good luck with them too, but be aware that they keep your backorder on file until you clear it, I had an item I ordered a year ago that got back ordered arrive last week, they got one in and shipped it to me, I had forgot I even ordered it.

That was my experience also, and why I stress the importance of making your intentions clear to them regarding backordered items. I had an order held up over a month due to one item (that I didn't really need) being out of stock. Having learned the hard way how their system works, I haven't had any problems since.

David

#7: Re: Online model store question Author: kmeyer PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:23 pm
    ----
To all,
Thanks for the feedback.

kmeyer

#8: Re: Online model store question Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:38 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I order a lot of kits and detail items from them. One thing I do like about GWMS is I find things that Squadron doesn't have. Most of the time, I am in no rush to get an item, so waiting for them to track something down is not a problem for me. However if you want something HOW, GWMS may not be the best on line store.

One other reason I go to GWMS vis Squadron is I live in Texas. Sense Squadron is in Texas also, I have to pay state sales taxes. Sad That makes GWMS cheaper most of the time.

Shipping time is about equal from both stores, so that is not much of a factor for me.

Their service has been good. Nobody is prefect, I would suggest you give them a try if you ARE NOT IN A RUSH TO GET SOMETHING RIGHT NOW.

I never forgot the items I have on back order because I check my "Order Status" two or three times a week. The bad thing is, I end up ordering something else about a fourth of the time when I do that.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#9: Re: Online model store question Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:41 pm
    ----
I've used them a number of times also. I would echo (Sgt.) Roy's comments, and add a couple. Don't always trust their "in-stock" statement, as I have often discovered that "in-stock" can mean "we have it" or it can mean "we think we can get it fairly quickly". That can mean delaying part of your order for days or weeks.

Another GMWS feature is an online order status funtion. This allows you to check your order the day after you place it, and gives you options to ship the in-stock stuff and either keep or cancel the back-orders. You choose if you wait for the back-orders, or if you cance them and get them from another source. Since I sorted out this little feature, I've had a lot less frustration with them. You do have to bepatient with their system and give it a day or two to update, as you can accidentally end up with a double shipment...experience talking here!

Other than that, their shipping is pretty reliable, and they are mostly responsive to customer service problems. I'm pretty happy with them, but always ready to buy somewhere else if the deal is better or GMWS pisses me off!

#10: Re: Online model store question Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 am
    ----
I used to order from them quite a bit. I stopped after a few bad experiences and I can only echo Chuck's statement not to trust the site if it claims something is "in stock". Squadron is much, much more reliable about what's in stock. Another on-line shop to check out is Sprue Brothers, I've had good experiences with them.

My bottom line with GMW is, if you need it now, order from someone else.

This is probably my last post on hobby shops in general as I am selling off my 20+ years' collection of kits, but that's another story.

Best Regards,
David

-> AFV News Discussion Board