T-28 Photos
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 pm
    ----
Wanna get it running...? Shocked

HA, HA, HA.... That would be cool, but perhaps not quite practical.

But then again..... Maybe someday !

#2: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:36 pm
    ----
I'd like to see the TM procedure for track replacement/retracking in the field. Shocked

#3: Re: T-28 Photos Author: SteveC86Location: Yorktown, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:36 pm
    ----
Those outer track sections are bolt-ons, yes? So you can take them off, with say a crane or two.

SteveC86

#4: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:41 pm
    ----
The outer track is detatchable with the use of cranes which are on the tank.

The rear crane can be seen on the above photo. The two outer track assemblies can connect together and be towed by the T28!!

I believe Accurate Armor has a 'model' of the T28.

A neat vehicle, totally impractical!!

Just think if it had mounted a 120mm or a direct firing 155mm !!!

WOW, THATS A KICK!!

#5: Re: T-28 Photos Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:39 pm
    ----
I remember seeing this tank when I was at Knox in 1987 for NBC school. How recent are these pictures?

#6: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:45 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I remember seeing this tank when I was at Knox in 1987 for NBC school. How recent are these pictures?

I'll bet it looks identical. Other than a fresh coat of paint, I don't think this beast has budged since it was originally placed there, when the 'New' Museum was built.

#7: Re: T-28 Photos Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:11 pm
    ----
I still remember the old old issue of AFV News that reported on that vehicle being found rusted and abandoned in the middle of an overgrown field (how long ago, now ~20 years?). If it weren't for some entrepid enthusiasts it'd still be be sitting in that field to this day.

Which reminds me, everybody's AFV News subscription up-to-date?

#8: Re: T-28 Photos Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:48 pm
    ----
This tank was found in a field where? How many were ever built? History/Information, I need it to quench my armor thirst!

#9: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:04 pm
    ----
Two prototypes were built in 1945, I believe it was. It was planned for assaults of built up German defenses as the war entered into its final stage in Europe.

Problems were too heavy, too slow, and too wide (hence the removable outer track).

The idea was, find heavy defences, bring these beasts up, and do a frontal assault to destroy the fixed fortification

#10: Re: T-28 Photos Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:17 pm
    ----
Any idea where the second tank is? I take it the field it was found in was here in the good ol USA then.

#11: Re: T-28 Photos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:51 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Any idea where the second tank is? I take it the field it was found in was here in the good ol USA then.

The vehicles never left the US.

The other was cut up and melted down Shocked , from what I understand. It sure did make a lot of razor blades (or whatever...) Sad

#12: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:20 pm
    ----
[quote="Dontos"]
- SFC_Jeff_Button

According to the Sept-Dec 2000 AFV News:

The surviving T28 was found on the Combat Developments Research Lab range at Fort Belvoir VA in 1975 by two AFVA members. It was pretty unclear what happened to the T28 between 1946, when it was on display at APG and redesignated as the T28, and 1975... How it got from APG to Belvoir is especially unclear. It may or may not have been in the Ordnance Museum collection at some point. At any rate, the Ordnance Museum didnt have the money to retrieve it, but the Patton Museum did - so it went to Fort Knox.

Prior to 1975, it had been thought that one T28 had burned up during testing, while the other one was cut up for scrap during the Korean war in 1950.

As an aside, I have been told that all armored vehicles left Belvoir with the move of the Engineer Center and School to Fort Leonard Wood in 1989, but there's a part of me that is skeptical of that claim based on what happened to the T28...

Neil

#13: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:22 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button

Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Let me start with the second tank. It was sent to Yuma Proving Grounds for float bridge testing post WWII. Vehicle was destoryed by a fire while there.
The tank now at Ft. Knox (the 1st one) somehow ended up at Ft. Belvoir, VA sometime after WWII. AFAIK, no records had turned up yet accounting for what it was used for or why it was send there.

I was living in base quarters at Ft. Belvoir when I read an article posted in the Castle, the base news paper. The story went something like this. A unit (none active duty type) was conducting training during a weekend. The base commander was flying around in a helicopter checking out the area and the units. He noticed the T-28 from the air and UNDERSTOOD it's historical importance. The story said he had offered it to museum at Aberdeen PG and was waiting on a responce. The next thing I read was an article in Armor magazine reporting that the Patton Museum had received a T-28. I guess Aberdeen didn't have the funds to pay for shipping it from Ft. Belvoir, while the Patton Museum did. I guess that in the end was a good thing sense the APG's museum has never had the funding support for it collection vis the Patton Museum.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

#14: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 pm
    ----
On a related note, the T28 was apparently "one of five U.S. armored vehicles 'discovered' in 1975 at Fort Belvoir," along with the T30 now at Fort Jackson.

See this Fort Jackson newspaper clipping:

I wonder what the other three vehicles were...

Neil

#15: Re: T-28 Photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:41 pm
    ----
[quote="Neil_Baumgardner"]
- Dontos
- SFC_Jeff_Button

According to the Sept-Dec 2000 AFV News:

The surviving T28 was found on the Combat Developments Research Lab range at Fort Belvoir VA in 1975 by two AFVA members.

Prior to 1975, it had been thought that one T28 had burned up during testing, while the other one was cut up for scrap during the Korean war in 1950.

Neil

Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

Something I forgot to add to my other post, the time frame for the news paper article was sometime around 1983 or early 1984.

Very interesting news paper article. Five vehicles? Best I can remember, the Castle ariticle I remember reading, never mentioned any other AFVs. Could it be the other four found homes while no one wanted the T-28 when it was found back in 1975?

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board