[Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :(
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#16: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:05 am
    ----
Homy, something doesn't make sense to me. On one hand, the tech tells you it's an issue between your ISP server and the backbone their linked to and on the other hand, he says your wifes machine does fine....HUH?

It can't be your ISP's server if your wifes machine is stable. If it were your ISP's problem, it would effect everyone connected to them, not just your machine.

Some tests to try...

Put your machine in place of your wifes machine. Use her connection and cables and test your machine. If it didn't work any better, then it's in your machine and it can be either hardware or software related.

If you have another NIC, try that to make sure your not having issues with your current NIC.

Did you try any kind of software "net optimizer" ?

If all those tests fail, it may be time to format and reinstall XP. It would seem "Windows Rot" has taken over your machine... Wink

#17: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:21 am
    ----
I was afraid you would say that Bush! I have swapped places and still the slow speeds are there. I tried a net optimizer...Speedcorp.net Broadband optimizer with no results so I undid their setting. The only thing left is to try a new NIC card. I just refomatted this thing in late Jan or early Feb and hope that is the last resort...lol. I'll go get a new NIC card tomorrow and let ya'll know the results.

#18: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
Homey...just sneak in and change your puter for Ms Homey's Mr. Green

#19: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:55 pm
    ----
Ok finally got a new NIC card and still getting slow speeds of about 500 kbs. I suppose I have no other alternative then to do another reformat :(. Thnx for everyone's help. If that new reformat is unsuccessful I gues I will have to steal the Mrs's puter...lol !!!! On second thought that might be deadly....lol!

#20: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:51 am
    ----
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk !!

the darned reformat, Good Luck homey and we will be looking forward to hear from you that you're at full speed again.

fled

#21: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:15 am
    ----
Deadly? Yep, have you forgotten she knows the fine art of Ghost Recon?...lol

Or in Mo's words from the 3 stooges.... "She'll murderize ya!"...lol

That sucks Homy, but I think that's the final step as the solution after that is MB related. Good luck...

#22: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:57 pm
    ----
HMMM........ I just got thru reformatting and I'm still only getting around 500 to 600 kbs down????????????????????????? Checked the Mrs's puter 3 times and she is getting 2.5 to 2.8 mbs down?????????????????????!!! I'm really lost now.........HELLLLL......PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP...lol. The only upgrade I have done since last reformat in January was to add a gig of ram. Could that be anything? I did the speed test today without putting any software onto computer but what the reformatting put on. I guess I'm gonna die soon Shocked as stealing the Mrs's puter is looking like my only option now unless we can figure this out Confused ...lol.

#23: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:24 am
    ----
increase of RAM could affect your fsb (if you put too much in your mobo could bottleneck everything back;
My Gigabutt mobo has capacity for 4Gb of RAM bu I only have 2Gb of PC3200 (4x512).
If I were to put another 2 x 512 and take it to 3Gb, the mobo would adjust the whole lot to PC2700.
If I were to put 2x1Gb in and take it to 4Gb (the max capacity) it would operate but the whole lot would only be running at PC2100.

It shouldn't affect your internet connection.
Maybe a hardware problem your side. I would suggest in your box (as your missus' seems okay) maybe a knackered ethernet card a network card, or something along those lines (?!?!?).

#24: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:28 pm
    ----
Just found THIS, Homey.
Hope it helps with your specific problem

#25: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:32 pm
    ----
Thnx Shades but I still get the slow speeds even connected straight to modem and router turned off. That was a good tip tho! I have a new NIC card, even tried a new modem but nothing seems to help. Just out of curisocity I will try moving the router to other side of my desk and will post results shortly.

#26: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:34 pm
    ----
If I hear anything else in my travels, I'll let ya know.

#27: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:01 pm
    ----
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! I moved the router and now I'm getting 1.9 to 2.3 mbs. I only hope that really was the problem. LMAO is all I can do now just thinking back to the weeks of frustration that I have had!!! Why is it always the simple things that cause the most problems? Like Bush always ask me..." How is Murphy today?" He lives at my house is my only answer to that question...LOL!!!

#28: Re: Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:12 pm
    ----
lol..

I see Mr. Murphy is alive and well in your house Homey...lol

Thanks Shades!

#29: Re: [Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:38 am
    ----
I gotta confess, I am AMAZED that worked.
But what the hey!
As long as it did.

Now if only I could talk you back into CFS1, so I can pull your wings off at your new high speed.
I believe there's still an old matter of a "Pink Panty Award" to discuss....!

(p.s. Robocop lives at your place?!?!?)

#30: Re: [Solved] Slowwwww internet speeds :( Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:50 pm
    ----
Murphy is an expression we use in the US for "If anything can go wrong, it will". We use expressions like "Murphy's Law" or just plain "Murphy" and in Homy's case... "Murphy lives at his house"...lol

I'm surprised that worked too, but 'line jumping' can cause all kinds of weird things. Nice to know that fixed it... Wink

Ahhh....the Pink Panty Awards.....roflmao

-> Hardware