Little David Mortar System...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Little David Mortar System... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:46 am
    ----
I stumbles across some more pictures that went right along with what "B_Smart" posted previously. These have dates and locations on them. Below are the first pictures and what was first posted, followed by the new "old" pictures I found this evening.

[editted by admins for picture use]

Little David - a one of a kind 36" Mortar.

It was actually developed to lob bombs for testing purposes but when the plans for the Invasion of Japan were developed someone got the idea of deploying it as a bunker buster.

The box is actually the mounting. a bulldozer/ shovel (Or a couple troops who are in real hot water with the 1st Sergeant) would dig a pit that the box would be driven into and backfilled around. The barrell is then placed on a the mount in the box. It is muzzel loaded, and that is a round sitting next to it.

#2: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:55 am
    ----
Impressive.

#3: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:07 am
    ----
Yes, Mortars are, but then I'm "biased" of course!

#4: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:54 am
    ----
Does anyone have any ballistic information on this systems capabilities?

#5: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 pm
    ----
I was actually wondering about its rate of fire. I'm guessing not quite so high as a 60mm.....?

#6: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:10 pm
    ----
Kevin's got some info on the Little David on his site: www.mortarsinminiature.com/

#7: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:45 pm
    ----
- Jinx
I was actually wondering about its rate of fire. I'm guessing not quite so high as a 60mm.....?

I'm guessing we're talking rounds per hour here, rather than per minute. Razz

David

#8: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:46 pm
    ----
- David_Reasoner
I'm guessing we're talking rounds per hour here, rather than per minute. Razz

David

Or maybe it's more like hours per round.....?

#9: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:14 am
    ----
[editted for picture use]

This was the only thing I could find at the "Mortars in Miniature" site. I am familiar with the site, I have contributed numerous photos that can be viewed there, of mortar units in Korea, and of the M84 here on display at Fort Irwin. 914mm, damn thats big!!!

#10: Re: Little David Mortar System... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:02 am
    ----
I sent Kevin some info awhile ago but I'm not sure it's been posted yet (about 50pp). I have pneumonia right now, but remind me in a few and I dig up my stuff. IIRC ROF wasn't bad as there was a clever system for reloading and recoil system allowed quick recovery. I'm thinking 4/hr rapid, 2/hr sustained, something on that order.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board