Trivia location?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Trivia location? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:17 am
    ----
Can anyone ID this location? Year? and vehicles? Shocked

Not really too hard Cool

#2: Re: Trivia location? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:09 am
    ----
The location is super easy. That was to become the Armor Board at Ft. Knox, and as I understand it now, it's been downgraded to post HQ. Laughing
I lived, briefly, on the second floor of the left-most part of the building until three of us got an unheard-of bachelor apartment off-post in what we called the Radcliff "red-light district". A very popular place to stop in for our buds still stuck on post....

Year...probably late WWII, vehicles look to be Sherman variants with just the cutest lil' utility trailer.

Thanks for the pic, Don!

#3: Re: Trivia location? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:36 am
    ----
I saw this photo and had to throw it in here. Its got your name ALL over it...

#4: Re: Trivia location? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:42 am
    ----
That pic was taken from the motor pool, a restricted area under "Board management", at a point near the refuel point. I'm surprized to see the building in left foreground even existed then. It was to become a branch PX exchange and dining room (on the right side, as viewed) and it was on that side that a very unhappy trooper from another unit plunged a stolen M60A1 in the wee hours in 1972 or 73...before going down the street and doing the same to the MP station on the corner (now a fire station, I understand). His last stop was at some place called Leavenworth, and I don't think it was Command and Staff College, neither!

#5: Re: Trivia location? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:27 am
    ----
Where:
It was taken in the "Armor Force Board" Motor Pool . (FYI: This is what will later become the Armor Engineer Board). Oh yeah, at Ft Knox, KY.

When:
It was taken in late 1944/early 1945.

Vehicles:
Besides the partially tarped Sherman, there are a number of old trucks in the back ground. The trailer and the vehicle towing it are the focus of the photo.

Anyone care to guess that one?? Mr. Green

Razz

#6: Re: Trivia location? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:14 am
    ----
- Dontos
Where:
It was taken in the "Armor Force Board" Motor Pool . (FYI: This is what will later become the Armor Engineer Board). Oh yeah, at Ft Knox, KY.

When:
It was taken in late 1944/early 1945.

Vehicles:
The trailer and the vehicle towing it are the focus of the photo.

Anyone care to guess that one?? Mr. Green

Razz

105mm howitzer Sherman with a armored ammo trailier

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#7: Re: Trivia location? Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:26 am
    ----
It looks to be an M4A3 Sherman with the straight steel track. The special trailer hitch mounted to the rear armor is something I haven't seen before. I thought that the 105 ammo trailers were attached to the standard hitch on the lower hull. My first thought was that it may have been a test bed for a Sherman Crocodile, but I don't see any fuel hoses or attachments. I'm stumped.

#8: Re: Trivia location? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:56 am
    ----
The Sherman is a M4A3(105). The trailer is a M8 ammunition trailer.

#9: Re: Trivia location? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:53 pm
    ----
Here is the 'Quote' on the Photo:

"Armored Trailer, M8 towed by pintle mounted on rear armor of hull similiar to hull of 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage, M7B1. Note the 17-degree angularity of trailer tow bars and the reduced ground clearance at rear of trailer."

The purpose was to redesign an ammo trailer for the M7/M7B1 which was more compatable with being towed behind the tracked Howitzer.

#10: Re: Trivia location? Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:05 pm
    ----
Hi all,

The 2nd floor of the left wing was the AMC Logistics Assistance Office during the early-mid 90s. That's where TACOM, AMCCOM, MICOM, and CECOM were. General Dynamics had a field office downstairs. Ya know, I never did know what was in the rest of the building then ...

Geoff

#11: Re: Trivia location? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:14 pm
    ----
My office is on the 3rd floor, right below the far left most roof window. About where the peak of the close building is (peak blocks my window).

#12: Re: Trivia location? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:18 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Here is the 'Quote' on the Photo:

"Armored Trailer, M8 towed by pintle mounted on rear armor of hull similiar to hull of 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage, M7B1. Note the 17-degree angularity of trailer tow bars and the reduced ground clearance at rear of trailer."

The purpose was to redesign an ammo trailer for the M7/M7B1 which was more compatable with being towed behind the tracked Howitzer.

Gee - seems like all they needed to do was heat the tongue and bend it a little Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board