T-28 & T95
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:37 pm
    ----
- bsmart
C-8 I think was another Army plane (The DeHaviland Buffalo?)

Oooh, Oooh!...I know that one!

"The first four aircraft produced in 1964-65 were delivered to the U.S. Army under the designation YAC-2 (later changed to CV-7A and subsequently C-8A) but, as already stated, no American production order followed."

...and you will sometimes see the designation DHC-5A, but as it wasn't adopted, this is sort of a "limbo" name....

...and the A.F. F110 name for a Phantom was the "Spectre", but Ernst Blofeld put a stop to that with a blackmail scheme involving a satellite equipped with what he called a "Laser"....

#17: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:48 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- bsmart
C-8 I think was another Army plane (The DeHaviland Buffalo?)

Oooh, Oooh!...I know that one!

"The first four aircraft produced in 1964-65 were delivered to the U.S. Army under the designation YAC-2 (later changed to CV-7A and subsequently C-8A) but, as already stated, no American production order followed."

...and you will sometimes see the designation DHC-5A, but as it wasn't adopted, this is sort of a "limbo" name....
I think the C-8 was coming around just about the time of the 'Key West Agreement' that limited the Army to no 'large' or 'combat' Fixed wing Aircraft. The C-7 caribou was put as the armies upper limit and the C-8 bing a little larger would have had to be an Air Force Aircraft after the agreement. The Air Force said 'We have the old C-123s and the new C-130s we don't need another cargo plane to take dollars away from fighters and bombers. Oh and by the way don't even think about hanging guns, rockets or bombs on the O-2 Mohawks you have, even if they have six hardpoints under the wings and are stressed for tactical manouvers.

#18: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:40 pm
    ----
- bsmart
The Air Force got the F-5 for the fighter version of the T-38

Was this before or after the U.S. Navy used the designation F5D-1 for their prototype fighter (also known as the Skylancer)?

#19: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 pm
    ----
- Jinx
- bsmart

Was this before or after the U.S. Navy used the designation F5D-1 for their prototype fighter (also known as the Skylancer)?
The F5D had lost out to the F8U before the 'merger' of designations.

This was one of those 'poliitical decisions'. The F5D Skylancer. was a good fighter and seemed to have as much potential as the F8U Crusader. But Douglas at the time was building the F4D, AD, A3D, A4D, B-66 as well as a thriving Commercial business. Vought had no other business and there was some thought that it got the award to keep business spread around. Several years later the F8U-3 lost out to the F4H-1 and there were claims that with the successful F8U line still chugging along it was time to throw some Buisness in the direction of the struggling McDonnell company

Last edited by bsmart on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

#20: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:16 pm
    ----
All this for that little question! Laughing

#21: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
All this for that little question! lol
And when as the small scale of a question ever limited the amount we can stretch the thread Smile

Actually I just found a mistake in my list of Fighters!

The F-7 was not the F7U Cutlass.

Quiz Bonus 2 - What plane became the F-7?

Last edited by bsmart on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:30 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

...and the A.F. F110 name for a Phantom was the "Spectre", but Ernst Blofeld put a stop to that with a blackmail scheme involving a satellite equipped with what he called a "Laser"....

...Hey!...where's my extra credit for the F110 bonus question?!

#23: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:35 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Doug_Kibbey

My apologies I didn't see the F110 part of your response when I was scanning the list before leaving work (did you add it to the C-7/C-8 answer later ?)

You get credit for the correct answer for the name Spectre. Also bonus points for the clarification of the Caribou/Buffalo

I'm still looking for the F-6, F-7 and F-10 (The F-7 is a very interesting story)

Last edited by bsmart on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

#24: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- Doug_Kibbey
- Doug_Kibbey

My apologies I didn't see the F110 part of yoiur response when I was scanning the list before leaving work (did you add it to the C-7/C-8 answer later ?)

You get credit for the correct answer for the name Spectre. Also bonus points for the clarification of the Caribou/Buffalo

I'm still looking for the F-6, F-7 and F-10 (The F-7 is a very interesting story)

Yep, about 1 minute later...you were probably already typing while I debated editing, or posting anew (I thought you were busy on the other thread...).

Oh, don't tell the A.F., but I saw a few Mohawks with rockets mounted in "I" Corps, Vietnam at Phu Bai....probably deniably, but they was there. Wink

The F-7 is NOT the F107, is it....that Super Sabre with the intake mounted dorsally over the cockpit (which was ugly as sin, but reportedly a good airplane...but lost out to two engines in the F-4)?

#25: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:00 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- Jinx
- bsmart

The F5D had lost out to the F8U before the 'merger' of designations.

Thank you very much for that.

I could say something about the merits of retiring numbers after they are used (hey, it works in baseball!).....but i doubt it would do any good.

(And i guess that would have led to such designations as the M-14907 Abrams and the B-1661 Lancer.....)

- bsmart
This was one of those 'political decisions'. The F5D Skylancer. was a good fighter and seemed to have as much potential as the F8U Crusader. But Douglas at the time was building the F4D, AD, A3D, A4D, B-66 as well as a thriving Commercial business. Vought had no other business and there was some thought that it got the award to keep business spread around. Several years later the F8U-3 lost out to the F4H-1 and there were claims that with the successful F8U line still chugging along it was time to throw some Buisness in the direction of the struggling McDonnell company

And one could point out that neither McDonnell nor Douglas are still around (except for the bits that are buried in the bowels of Boeing, i mean).

And it looks like the practice of throwing the business around is still being followed, don't you think?

Of course, there aren't nearly so many aircraft manufacturers in the U.S., anymore.....so it makes sense to keep the survivors alive. However they have to do it.

#26: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 am
    ----
"And one could point out that neither McDonnell nor Douglas are still around"

Lets see Vought isn't around, neither is Convair (well I guess as you put it 'buried in the bowels of Lockheed Martin' :-)) Lockheed & Martin have merged (and neither produce airplanes in the location they originally did) Republic is gone, North American disapeared in the bowels of somebody, Northrup & Grumman have merged but are hardly 'aircraft companies' anymore.

#27: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:40 am
    ----
Oh, don't tell the A.F., but I saw a few Mohawks with rockets mounted in "I" Corps, Vietnam at Phu Bai....probably deniably, but they was there. Wink

Those were just 'spotting rockets' right Smile to be used to mark the target so the real shooters could attack it I'm sure Smile

The F-7 is NOT the F107, is it....that Super Sabre with the intake mounted dorsally over the cockpit (which was ugly as sin, but reportedly a good airplane...but lost out to two engines in the F-4)?[/quote]

Actually the F-107 lost out to the F-105. Nope, I don't know of any USAF aircraft except the Phantom that were renumbered.

#28: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: DCCLarke PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:33 am
    ----
Bob, please check your private messages on the board.

Best,
David

#29: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:40 am
    ----
I posted a list of 'M-numbers' earlier in this thread. I got it from the old list somewhile back (a year or so ago?) Does anyone remember who posted it to the list? Was it you Neil?

The reason I ask is a couple folks have asked if they can take it to other lists. I don't want to claim ownership just because I thought to save it as a text file. So if someone else remembers who posted it I would appreciate their coming forward so the proper compiler can get credit

#30: Re: T-28 & T95 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:57 am
    ----
- bsmart
I posted a list of 'M-numbers' earlier in this thread. I got it from the old list somewhile back (a year or so ago?) Does anyone remember who posted it to the list? Was it you Neil?

The reason I ask is a couple folks have asked if they can take it to other lists. I don't want to claim ownership just because I thought to save it as a text file. So if someone else remembers who posted it I would appreciate their coming forward so the proper compiler can get credit

I can't answer your question, Bob, but I know that list (or one awfully like it) turned up elsewhere tonight when I was searching for something else:

www.mil-veh.org/archiv.../0507.html

BTW, it sure didn't look like 11 pages, single-spaced, until I printed it!

-> AFV News Discussion Board