M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:55 am
    ----
Took some (supervised) pics via open hatches of the interior of the Ordnance Museum's new M60A2 and the T1E1 heavy tank.

M60A2 Interior

Gunner's position

Gunner sight

TC position

Ammo rack

Breech

Driver position

T1E1 heavy turret interior (unfortunately its pretty trashed inside)

Neil

#2: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:14 am
    ----
Doug should be plenty familiar with these shots. I'm rather surprised by the amount of rust. By supervised, do you mean the vehicle was locked and they opened it for you?

#3: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:37 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Doug should be plenty familiar with these shots. I'm rather surprised by the amount of rust.

Damn skippy, Jeff. Laughing And I agree...Man, Neil...that thing is seriously ratty inside...I don't envy the cleanup crew (if there's to be one...)

I'd have taken beaucoup shots of our pristine ones during the Initial Production Test, but that would've been a hangin' offense at the time. Best can do is post a few of my shots of Jacques Littlefields, which is in pretty darn good shape (and with most of it's accessories as well):

#4: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:00 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Doug should be plenty familiar with these shots. I'm rather surprised by the amount of rust. By supervised, do you mean the vehicle was locked and they opened it for you?

Meaning the hatch was already open and Bob supervised Wink

This is the same M60A2 I posted pics of before:

It was just recently acquired by the museum from "behind the fence." Still no idea what those heavy duty lugs are on the front hull, but I suspect it was used for some time as a test vehicle, dead weight or something until it sat unused for quite a while...

Neil

#5: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:45 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- SFC_Jeff_Button

Meaning the hatch was already open and Bob supervised Wink

This is the same M60A2 I posted pics of before:

It was just recently acquired by the museum from "behind the fence." Still no idea what those heavy duty lugs are on the front hull, but I suspect it was used for some time as a test vehicle, dead weight or something until it sat unused for quite a while...

Neil

supervised?? I even provided the ladder!! And if you look close you can tell which side of the hatch Neil was on for some of those pics.

Also I think the lugs on the glacis were for a ladder. I've seen some pictures of test vehicles with ladders over the nose or on the side before. I guess they figure they'll be climbing in and out a lot.

It was a very good day. An M-4 enthusiast was also along to take pictures and collect details on the M4A1 HVSS that recently came to Aberdeen. His pics will probably be over on the G104 group in yahoogroups (I haven't checked yet)

#6: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:31 pm
    ----
Whow , cool pics

Thanks for sharing them !

Question for Doug about the following photo titled M60A2TCsightsm.jpg.

The photo has a compoment that measures distance in meters .

Now (I don't mean to cause any offence here - apologies if I do - not intended) but why the metric units ?

As far as I know the U.S. Armed forces of the 60s , 70s used the imperial system of measurement. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong !

Did the U.S. Armed Forces use the metric system way before U.S. public use of the metric system ?

Again , thanks for a great forum

Dirk

#7: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:28 pm
    ----
- Dirk

Question for Doug about the following photo titled M60A2TCsightsm.jpg.

The photo has a compoment that measures distance in meters .

Now (I don't mean to cause any offence here - apologies if I do - not intended) but why the metric units ?

As far as I know the U.S. Armed forces of the 60s , 70s used the imperial system of measurement. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong !

Yep, gotta' correct you there....the Army was metric with regard to ranging, map reading, all that linear distance stuff since WAY before my time. Liquids were imperial, and milage expressed as such. Go figure. I never went on a patrol of "five miles" or anything like that, but the driving range of vehicles was expressed in mpg (or gpm, in the case of tanks). Weights were imperial. (or avoisdupois or whatever). I think linear distance was metric to harmonize with maps and such, but don't know when that standard was implemented.

Did the U.S. Armed Forces use the metric system way before U.S. public use of the metric system ?

Yes, as noted above, but I don't know from when....

#8: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:21 pm
    ----
- Dirk

Dirk

In the AIr Force all tools and such were SAE standard ( 1/4", 1/8", 1/16", etc) All our ranges were refered to in miles (Question was statute or nautical). I don't remember us doing anything in metric.

As far as the U.S. public using metric, that is still an open question. My lumber is still 2"x4" (raw not finished) and my plywood is 4'x8'. I remember reading years ago during the big push the U.S. into metric era that when they got into it the construction indutry was all for it since it wouldn't really matter for new construction after the first year or so but the that retail home omprovement industry was dead set against it. They saw a public backlash when Joe Homeowner went to buy replacement bricks, tile, switch boxes, etc and had to worry about whether he needed metric or 'traditional'. The American retallers are a LARGE lobby, and you see how far metrification has gone.

#9: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:58 pm
    ----
And now for today's public service message Shocked

The metric system and the US, including the military

Learn the truth about the 2x4s Laughing Actually, the metric system in the US is much older than commonly believed...

Jens O.

#10: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:12 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
And now for today's public service message Shocked

The metric system and the US, including the military

Learn the truth about the 2x4s Laughing Actually, the metric system in the US is much older than commonly believed...

Jens O.

"The popular cartoon The Simpsons has made reference to the metric system in several episodes. One entitled ‘A Star is Burns’, Grampa Simpson utters: “The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!� That translates into 432 (beer) or 504 (wine) gallons per mile, or about 1.2 liters per meter."

Yup....proud to be a 'Murican! Laughing

#11: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:58 pm
    ----
Probably looks like I got egg all over my face Laughing

Thanks all - for correcting me !

Imagine a Homer Simpson saying 'Doh!'

Dirk

#12: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:32 am
    ----
Hey, Guys!

For what it's worth, the Army was into metric at least as early as 1962, when our ranges (including didtance breakdowns on firing ranges), maps (certaily in Germany), etc., were metric, and the wheeled vehicles sometimes had stick-on metric speeds to affix inside the regular 'mile' numbers on the speedo dial.

Russ
Lookin' more and more like his icon each day

#13: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:25 pm
    ----
Question for Neil,
By any chance did you notice what the serial number was of the M60A2? Love the interior shots. Thanks for posting them.

Joe D

#14: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:07 pm
    ----
Sorry, no. I dont even know where to look for them on the M60 family and I didnt look around for a data plate.

Neil

#15: Re: M60A2 & T1E1 (ie M6 heavy) interior pics... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:10 pm
    ----
Y'know, iIve got the Hunnicutt books, and i've seen all the pictures but I still can't for the life of me figure out what's going on with that M60A2 gun/missile breech. It looks more like an end pipe from some sewage treatment plant!

-> AFV News Discussion Board