Armor for the Ages
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armor for the Ages Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:52 am
    ----
The Armor for the Ages web site showcasing the Patton Museum has been updated. The latest addition, besides a redesigned main page, is the addition of two .wmv files of particular interest that can be downloaded.

Enjoy,
Garry

#2: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: Jim_Coles PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:54 am
    ----
Looks like the M4 in the second clip is fitted with the Canadian dry-pin track judging by the sprocket appearance. Was this also used on US tanks, or is this vehicle from a Canadian source?

#3: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:35 am
    ----
I had visited the Patton museum a couple of years ago - I seem to remember that they had this Sherman identified as a Grizzly, which would make it Canadian in origin.

Here's a photo of this tank inside the museum at that time (by the looks of it has been run out in the field recently).

cn

#4: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:54 am
    ----
This 'Grizzley' is nicknamed 'Cindi', was indeed a Canadian used tank.

She was used as a the primary runner and was featured in most of the public displays for several years, due to her excellent running condition.

The decision was made to put her on display in the museum and not 'run' her anymore.

She is still there, between the Priest (on the right) and the StuH 42 (on the left).

Don

#5: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:12 am
    ----
Any particular reasons behind that decision, Dontos?

#6: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:25 am
    ----
It was due to the completion of several projects, giving 'us' the ability to routinely rotate operational vehicles for the numerous public demo events.

Don

#7: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:55 am
    ----
Ah, good. I'm almost sure I've seen this tank operating at a couple of demonstrations. Smile

#8: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:04 pm
    ----
Oh, this wasn't what you meant by 'armor for the ages'?
Here's a pcture of me back in late '41 looking for that piece of chalk I dropped while drawing a circle around that 88 turret peneration. Wink

#9: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:55 pm
    ----
Nice job on the new site!!

And Mike, did you find the chalk?...lol

#10: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:20 pm
    ----
Garry

Looks Good, updates and all. The links page is cool also,...thanks for including my little ole' site.

Don

#11: Re: Armor for the Ages Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:55 am
    ----
Thanks Shadow and Don for the comments. I am planning on updating the site a bit more this weekend with photos of the newly arranged Post-War Gallery and the new exhibit cases in the Patton Gallery at the museum.

-> AFV News Discussion Board