AFVs in the movie Richard III
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:17 pm
    ----
From the movie Richard III .

T-55 with ERA

Another T-55 (Got to love those .303 rifles :wink:)

Here's another T-55

Jeep (what type exactly ?) Cool MG mounted topside Wink

T-34/85

Copy of the WWII Sdkz 251

Is this a Comet ??

Cheers and Enjoy

Dirk

PS - Not too sure about the T-55 tanks ID !!

#2: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:02 pm
    ----
Gives you a whole new appreciation of the 'Wars of the Roses', doesn't it.

Can't trust the movies at all for historial accuracy - a problem that went all the way back to Shakespeare! The worst thing about Richard III, apparently, was that he managed to find himself on the losing side and the winners wrote the history books. Shakespeare no withstanding, no hump no murdering his relatives... and no T55s! Wink

By the way, 2nd picture down you've got a nice shot of the underside of the fender with the attachments to protect from being slapped by the tracks.

#3: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:44 pm
    ----
- Dirk

Jeep (what type exactly ?) Cool MG mounted topside Wink

Actually, isnt that a Dodge Weapons Carrier? Albeit with a shortened rear?

Neil

#4: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:54 pm
    ----
[/quote]

Actually, isnt that a Dodge Weapons Carrier? Albeit with a shortened rear?

Neil[/quote]

It's the Command Car version of the Dodge 3/4-tonner.

David

#5: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:00 pm
    ----
- Dirk

Is this a Comet ??

Cheers and Enjoy

Dirk

It looks like the left side of the hull and turret of a M5A1 Stuart.

#6: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:33 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures

It looks like the left side of the hull and turret of a M5A1 Stuart.

Makes perfect sense !

Rear shot of the Stuart

#7: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:41 pm
    ----
Some more pics

Lower RH side . Looks like a Sdkz ?? Note what appears to be vision flaps

Conclusive proof that a Stuart was used (albeit briefly) in Richard III

Half track ( Bristol Blenheim topside ? )

Through the wall

Perhaps a Sherman based AFV - note sharp angle to superstructure as well as track idler

Enjoy - Cheers

Dirk

Last edited by Dirk on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:43 pm
    ----
I always thought Richard should have been in a tank for the final scene. Though I suppose the jeep standing in for his horse is appropriate... Well it would be if it was a Jeep and not a Dodge command carrier...

Neil

#9: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: Blackjack PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:48 am
    ----
There's a good rendition of the line "a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!" when his Jeep is stuck in the mud, so maybe another Jeep in the finale would have been overkill. Nice water cooled .30 on the Beep though. I liked the BA-64 in the beginning myself and when Richard III bursts in the room when the T-55 punches through the wall wearing the gas mask and firing away with his broom handled Mauser handgun. Wish they'd remake all the Shakespeare plays like this, although Roman Polanski's take on MacBeth is well worth checking out for its gore as well.

#10: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 am
    ----
Would have been nice if only British AFVs were featured in the movie - Comets , Centurions , Bren gun carriers and maybe even Crossley armoured cars Mr. Green

As for the Scottish Play - all I remember from High School is : 'Hear it not Duncan , for it's a knell that summons thee to heaven or to hell'

Cheers

Dirk

#11: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:07 pm
    ----
The screen shots may be distorting the photos of the actual vehicle, but I would bet a cold beer that the vehicles in the first and third photos are not T-55s. They look like some sort of vizmod vehicle made to look like a T-55. Perhaps an M41?

#12: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:23 pm
    ----
Yeh, the screenshots are distorted. Those T-55s are probably real T-55s. Maybe rented from private collectors. Lots of movies have been filmed in Yugoslavia (including Kelly's Heroes,Cross of Iron I believe?) where constructing a fake T-55 would rather be like sending coals to Newcastle! Also, four T-34-85s in one shot suggests the cooperation of some ex-Warsaw Pact army reserve unit.

#13: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: Claymore PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:10 am
    ----
The film was shot in the UK. The large 'Fortress' building is Battersea power station (disused) that is in the centre of London. the vehicles are just what you see T55's T34/85's there is no shortage of ex warsaw pact vehicles for sale over here!

#14: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: palic PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 am
    ----
You can find rubber padded tracks on the second picture - these appeared in the middle 80' on Czechoslovak T-54/55AM2 "Kladivo" (Hammer).
The copy of SdKfz 251 is based on Czechoslovak OT-810 APC I am pretty sure...
I can see ex-DDR or ex-Yugoslav (VJ) helmets e.t.c.
Is this film available on DVD?

#15: Re: AFVs in the movie Richard III Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 am
    ----
- palic
Is this film available on DVD?

Yep - bought mine as a Region 1 DVD .

Although my DVD zone is Region 2 .

Cheers !!!

Dirk

-> AFV News Discussion Board