Guitar Tab Sites
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#31: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:03 pm
    ----
Thanks Hangy! Actually, it's just 26 years' worth of stuff that I've gathered, more than anything. Heck, if it hadn't been for this post I probably wouldn't have realized that much time has gone by, nor taken the picture.... and yep, I've seen some indications of what those go for but I really don't want to know....not a factor anyway. Got a plan.

I was tempted to also post pix of two other guitars in the house, but they ain't mine to do that with....13-year-old Stoopy Mk.II's been playing my Fender steel-string acoustic for about 8 months now and taking lessons from someone who knows what they're doing (for a change). When I came home from a trip out of town and he cranked out Dick Dale's "Miserlou" on it in front of me (I kid you not, he was learning it and wanted to surprise me!), that was all it took. Mighty fine double-pickin' and glissando technique he's showing already. Soooo.....Dad got him a brand-new Midnight Wine (real) Fender Stratocaster HSS and a Fender G-DEC amp (which is an AWESOME little rig, 50+ amp sounds and effects and built-in drum/rythm tracks and loop recorder) for Christmas.....he's been going gonzo with it, and I can safely say that from the interest and progress he's been showing I have no doubt he'll be playing the rest for his life too. We trade off the lead and rythm parts to "Pipeline" together when he's not working on some his Jimmy Eat World or AC/DC songs.

So Rita Mae and the '63 Jag are spoken for and that takes care of that... Smile

#32: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:07 pm
    ----
Jeffrey, the box for the AMP is in the top of the hall closet on the right side of the shelf. I though mom knew where it was. One of the guys in my class here at Ft Eustis has two Ibanez Bass guitars in his hotel room which is only four down from my room. This evening I will go to his room and get on his laptop and show him this thread and your guitar picture. Be good while I'm here, tomorrow marks one week down, only 5 to go!!!

#33: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:17 pm
    ----
Come home soon Pops!

Holy moley......hey, talkin' about collectibles, check this out, Shades! Man I really hope I don't sound like I'm bragging (not trying to) but taking that picture really opened my eyes to a few things. And this is just too funny, to me at least...

Would you believe I actually own another classic? Check out this link to the Frets Museum!!

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Museum/Ukulele/Treholipee/treholipee.html

I had no idea it went back to the late '60's! And when my wife saw me taking the picture in the basement and suggested I pop it in there somewhere, I thought, okay, since I already have a couple shots of what I REALLY wanted....who woulda thunk it was really a small (and still unplayable IMHO) piece of surf music history...

#34: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 pm
    ----
LOL Stoopy! I thought that thing was made up (Not manufactured)...lol

The thing did fit in with the times in the 60's though..(Uhm, so I'm told... :wink:)

#35: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm
    ----
To be honest I sincerely thought it was cheap gimmick too....wait......actually maybe it still is! Just one with some history I guess. Read some more about it, the patent was placed in 1966 and they were made in San Clemente....hey that's my old surf spot ("Old Man's")!!!!!

Too much coincidence here...gonna go back down to the basement, get it off the wall, tune it and play the thing!

#36: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
To be honest I sincerely thought it was cheap gimmick too....wait......actually maybe it still is!

("It's "Tre" for "three" and "holi" for "holes"), Holy holi's Batman!

LOL, wasn't Spock getting down with him bad self playing one of those on Star Trek?

#37: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:03 am
    ----
- fr8ycat
("It's "Tre" for "three" and "holi" for "holes"), Holy holi's Batman!

LOL, wasn't Spock getting down with him bad self playing one of those on Star Trek?

Laughing

Yeah...with flowers in his hair or something, in that one episode, right? (Was he goinnnng to Sannnnnnn Frannnnnn Sisssco....?? Did Scott McKenzie sing off-camera while Spock lip-synched?? )

Not to get too far off topic - aww too late - but here's yet another offbeat link in the strange lattice of Treholipee coincidence.....is there a Leonard Nimoy / Jack Benny connection at the root of all this? And can you believe they apparently even made a left-handed version of the thing?

Even worse, th'kid saw it sitting in the living room while I was mucking with it last night, and picked it up and played it for about 20 minutes while giggling over it. I fear greatly for his future now...I've since found out there are Ukelele user groups and fan clubs and web sites and forums....it's just all so wrong.....

#38: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:27 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Even worse, th'kid saw it sitting in the living room while I was mucking with it last night, and picked it up and played it for about 20 minutes while giggling over it. I fear greatly for his future now...I've since found out there are Ukelele user groups and fan clubs and web sites and forums....it's just all so wrong.....

Gigglin huh. Just dont let the 'lil' Stoopy get a hold of any archival footage of Tiny Tim, and he'll be alright.

#39: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:12 pm
    ----
...or he could end up like (gasp*) Dick Dale! What father would want that, eh?

Some great Uke stuff, and users (like Dale), here:

www.tikiking.com/uke_p...e_Set.html

I fear for Stoopy Mk.II.....

#40: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:30 pm
    ----
Dick hangs out there huh? If his posts are anything like his interviews, it must be a head-trip to read. The man can play, though....and th'kid is getting faster with that right hand all the time.

That last picture settles it. The Trehollipee goes on E-bay this weekend.......proceeds go to a new tube amp.

Thanks for the heads-up on the dangers, Doug. Sheesh I thought todays kids had enough to deal with....scary what's out there waiting for 'em... I need to set aside some additional time for this during "the talk"!

#41: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:40 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
That last picture settles it. The Trehollipee goes on E-bay this weekend.......proceeds go to a new tube amp.

Thanks for the heads-up on the dangers, Doug. Sheesh I thought todays kids had enough to deal with....scary what's out there waiting for 'em... I need to set aside some additional time for this during "the talk"!

I kinda' hoped the second picture would be enough....and here I thought you were a concerned parent.

Ya' gotta' watch em' every minute, I tell ya'.

#42: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:23 pm
    ----
Oh for sure, but it's also a fine line of teaching them so you can trust 'em to make their own good decisions...that second picture, umm....that's an ol' lady the guy is hugging, right? Okay, borderline. But that last picture though.....and the dude with the mini-skull.......ain't no way he gets any musical influence on my little dutchman!!!

#43: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:04 pm
    ----
Hey, back on topic for a minute or two, I thought this would be something you axe-grinders would be interested in, if you don't know about it already....

This is a FREEWARE utility called "Guitar and Drum Trainer 2". It's purpose is to play MP3 files and allow you to do several interesting things that allow you to go pick through any parts you're trying to work on. Right off the bat, it will loop just a certain section over and over for you, which is a lot better than the old method of sitting there with your Panasonic cassette player doing the "Press Play....(pick the notes out)........Press Stop....Press Rewind...Press Stop....Press Play....(pick the notes out)........Press Stop....Press Rewind...Press Stop....lather....rinse...repeat" thing.

On top of that, check THIS out.....besides the cool loop feature, it allows you to slow the music down WITHOUT changing the pitch of the notes! And you can slow it wayyyyyy down so you can really pick your way note-by-note through that tricky little passage very precisely and accurately. You can also raise or lower the pitch of the whole song to match your guitar's standard tuning (why always tune yours down half a step or whatever when they can come to you?) and also use the EQ to mix down the vocals or drums or tambourine or trehollipee noise.

I'm stoked over this little freebie gizmo.....it works EXACTLY as advertised, and I'm on my way to to figuring out something that's had me banging my head against the wall for a few weeks now! Credit goes to th'kid, who was asking if anything like this existed which led me to the search...so cool, worth sharing!

Here's the home site for it:

http://renegademinds.com/Default.aspx?tabid=33

....But I couldn't figure out if the version 2.3 is free or not (they want donations but there's also a price shown?) so I got the verified-freebie version 2.2 from here:

http://www.softforall.com/HomeEducation/Music/Guitar_and_Drum_Trainer_205120024_download.htm

Enjoy!

#44: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:45 pm
    ----
wow..thats totally cool..I'll try it out later...Thanks Stoopy!

#45: Re: Guitar Tab Sites Author: MrdcLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:28 pm
    ----
Hey if you like Ukuleles take a look at this guy.
www.spikedhumor.com/ar...kills.html
His name is Jake Shimabukuro
www.jakeshimabukuro.com/
Wink

-> Officer's Club