The cures of the M3
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: oldtop PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:38 pm
    ----
err..ok I see them now

#17: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:36 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Here's one to make Dontos cry...and if you go to the index page below, and look at the series of files beginning with "armspics"...you're sure to find something to make you cry too..... Sad

www.project-x.org.uk/images/

Crying or Very sad

I could use that and 5 of its brothers.... Crying or Very sad

#18: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 am
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied

... To my amazement the guard weapons weren't included on the list and just one look at the six m/45B's (Carl-Gustav's) in the rack were a sad sight. God knows how long they'd been in the rack with recoil springs compressed and full magazines.

Heh heh heh, reminded me of the handover from my SFOR days. The previous unit had been in camp for a year, 2 tours in sequence. I got in early before most of the main body of my unit, and met a guy I knew from before. He was anxious to hand over to somebody, and we realized I was "it" to take the QRF stores. So I signed for 2 C6 machine guns, ammo, NVGs, first aid kits, barricade equipment, helicopter lights and panels, radios, Sat phones, etc - just the right stuff to throw into a vehicle to secure a scene for medevac or an investigation.

A few days after all the other guys had left, I started looking for someone with a supply account to give all this stuff to. Well, they were glad to find me. For a week the storesmen had been panicking over lost kit - who had it last - jeez, am I going to jail - what the hell happened? And I now could make their books balance. But a month later we had a 100% eyes-on weapons muster. Its seems 2 C7 rifles had been found quietly getting dusty in the Ops room rack - left behind from the first tour a year ago from guys repatriated really early.

#19: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:58 pm
    ----
When I first found the Arms Dump web site a year or two ago I was annoyed at the many errors and all the missed ID's ... so I had a try at it myself and made a PDF that I sent to the site (bad case of Mr. Knowitall I know, I apologize).

The PDF was to large to be posted here so I made JPG's and they can be found at the gallery pages under the "Vietnam Arms Dump" name.

Cheers,
Rik

#20: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:53 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
The PDF was to large to be posted here so I made JPG's and they can be found at the gallery pages under the "Vietnam Arms Dump" name.

Cheers,
Rik

Where, exactly, is (or was) this arms dump, Rik? These old photos or more recent? What can you tell us about this place....

Thanks!
D.

#21: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:44 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Rikard_Hufschmied

Cheers,
Rik

Where, exactly, is (or was) this arms dump, Rik? These old photos or more recent? What can you tell us about this place....

Thanks!
D.

Doug,

That's the thing, I sadly don't know and can hence only speculate. I've e-mailed the project-x website a couple of times for a location but never got a reply. My money is firmly on Vietnam though, this based on the mix of weapons and other factors. As for a timeframe for the pictures, my guess is mid to late 90's. I've seen similar pictures taken by friends who traveled in the region at that time. The pictures, taken by friends, I have seen are from Da Nang of which some were very similar (bordering to identical) to the "arms dump". From what I know Da Nang was more or less untouched as giant time capsule up until the late 80's.

I belive the "Arms Dump" may be a scheduled tourist stop, a "photo opportunity" much like the Chu Chi tunnels. It's intriguing never the less.

It somewhat sends me back to growing up in the 70's and spending the summer vacations at my grandmother's in the north of Finland. The stuff we kids would find at junkyards, in the woods, in barns and derilict houses was amazing (and also as I'm now a father myself "terrifying"). The stuff would range from more or less complete but rusted weapons (my uncle still has a complete Moisin Nagant we found under the floorboards of a barn) to spent casings of which there was plenty. We were given a stiff lecture by a great uncle (a WW2 veteran) on what never to touch (handgranades, mines etc.) and to always tell a grown-up if we found something. We didn't always do that though ... kids will be kids.

#22: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm
    ----
Bumping the thread as there's new pictures of the arms dump. From what I have learned this Vietnamese weapons graveyard was the contents of a destroyed warehouse for collected weapons, at some of the pictures you see intact warehouses that contained even more weapons. This cache was left to the elements and is all gone by now. The time frame for the pictures is late 80's, early 90's. There's even more armor related stuff in the new pictures, even some wingthingies. Click the link for a slideshow ...

Weapons Graveyard Slideshow

#23: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm
    ----
That has to be an ordnance depot that was abandoned when the U.S. withdrew.

#24: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:22 pm
    ----
I've seen photos of crates of aircraft spares, including whole radial engines (Skyraider, for the use of?) still sealed in their transport drums.

#25: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: litespan46 PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:26 pm
    ----
I had to buy 1 of the m3's after it got caught between turret w]and and rotating turret.twisted it up pretty good.i signed for it so I bought it

gene gleason

#26: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:17 pm
    ----
What kind of turrets are those?

#27: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 am
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
What kind of turrets are those?

Over at the Arms Dump (on FB), they ID it as the 105mm turret from an LVTH-6. The pics look right to me.

C

#28: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: TerryStibalLocation: Pensacola FL PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm
    ----
Our M3s stayed in the tank, got cleaned once in a while, and were never, ever used by anyone with half a brain. It may have been a smart concept back in the day, and I imagine that whichever defense contractors got the contracts waxed fat on a cost plus arrangement. But, as a weapon, it was a good doorstop.

I carried a M79 when I was TC; useful for plopping a CS round into a hole that might be a tunnel entrance.

#29: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:54 pm
    ----
- litespan46
I had to buy 1 of the m3's after it got caught between turret w]and and rotating turret.twisted it up pretty good.i signed for it so I bought it

gene gleason

How much did Uncle Sam charge you for it? I knew a guy who bought an M_60 machine gun barrel. He said they took his paycheck for several months.

#30: Re: The cures of the M3 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:55 pm
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
- litespan46

gene gleason

How much did Uncle Sam charge you for it? I knew a guy who bought an M_60 machine gun barrel. He said they took his paycheck for several months.

ISTR the unit price was in the $40 dollar range, so would also be curious what the "replacement" cost was.

I too, knocked an M60 barrel off (well, bent it around real good maneuvering my vehicle in heavy bush), but it was a combat operation and there was no penalty, just DX.

-> AFV News Discussion Board