"Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:46 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
I bring to you, "Eve of Destruction", from the Ft Eustis museum. This truck is gorgeous! You can climb up into a fake guard tower and look down into the bed of the truck. I know the quality of the pictures isn't of Doug Kibbey quality, but I did my best, it was pretty dimly lit inside the exhibit. Notice the bed is lined with 50 cal ammo boxes. This is truely a very interesting museum, and I was quite impressed with the interior displays. The outdoor pieces are in various states of deterioration, but because many of the items are unique, as you all will soon see as I post them here, they are still interesting to see.

#2: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:58 pm
    ----
OK, I make a motion that if Jeff is going to be the Neil Baumgardner of Transportation and take all these bitchin' pictures for us, the least we can do is chip in and buy him a flash card or a good photo editor program. Wink

Jeff, you keep takin' em, and we'll keep fixin' 'em as interest in any one pic warrants. Or you can send 'em to me, I'll brighten, and send back so you can put up in one of your virtual Kodak albums for us all to enjoy!

#3: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:21 pm
    ----
Doug, It was very dimly lit in there. My camera is a Kodak 3.2 mega pixel. When I took these pic's, I actually was thinking of you being there seeing the truck as well, and was trying to take the pictures as I thought you might. The museum has many VietNam exibits. I'm on my 3rd Photobucket account so far!! I have to get off here but I'll be back again tomorrow and over the weekend. I'll be in the field though 10-14 April, and with my parents 15-16 April, so my time here will virtually be non-existant during that time. I was seriously missing this site, both for reading and posting. Take care.

#4: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:46 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
Maybe this is a little bit better picture. When I was in the museum yesterday, I noticed a song being played that sang about "The Eve of Destruction" by the display. I hadn't noticed it before. Anyone know if this song was an actual song or just one written and sang by the troops?

#5: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:14 pm
    ----
Aaaah, you young bucks... Mr. Green

"Eve of destruction" was an actual song by Barry McGuire, see Eve of Destruction for the lyrics.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#6: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:41 am
    ----
I believe thats the song alright. Same time period as well. Who knows, maybe that's the source of the trucks name!

#7: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: SteveC86Location: Yorktown, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:36 pm
    ----
Eve was an outdoor display for several years and then she disappeared from the -gasp- uncovered yard. Glad to see she is in a "better place"and in better shape. I've never been inside the Transport Museum, although I've lived in Newport News and/or Yorktown for 17 years...

SteveC86
TankCalendar.com (coming soon)

#8: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:50 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I believe thats the song alright. Same time period as well. Who knows, maybe that's the source of the trucks name!

1965...I remember it well. Played all the time when I was at Oak Ridge Military Institute (we had some real military staff there just back from Vietnam ~64...before people really thought of it as a "war"....SSgt Jewel B. Mintz showed us some very interesting personal 35mm slides in Mil. Sci. class that wouldn't pass muster in a classroom today....).
"EOD" was a big hit at the same time as 'Stones "Get offa' my Cloud".
"Eve of Destruction" was a perfect anthem for Vietnam...as were songs like the Animals "We've gotta' get outta' this place", etc.....

Barry jumped the rails for a while, resided on a commune, now is an aged quasi-gospel singer.
"Barry McGuire began his music career in 1963 in the spotlight of the "Andy Williams Show" as lead singer of the New Christy Minstrels. The voice behind such hits as "Green, Green" and "Green Back Dollar," McGuire's best known for the 1965 anthem, "Eve of Destruction," which impacted listeners worldwide. In 1968, McGuire starred in the original Broadway production of "Hair." Dick Clark once said of McGuire, "When world events collide with Rock & Roll, you get Barry McGuire."

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

#9: Re: "Eve of Destruction" at FT Eustis Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:54 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Doug, It was very dimly lit in there. My camera is a Kodak 3.2 mega pixel. When I took these pic's, I actually was thinking of you being there seeing the truck as well, and was trying to take the pictures as I thought you might. The museum has many VietNam exibits. I'm on my 3rd Photobucket account so far!! I have to get off here but I'll be back again tomorrow and over the weekend. I'll be in the field though 10-14 April, and with my parents 15-16 April, so my time here will virtually be non-existant during that time. I was seriously missing this site, both for reading and posting. Take care.

Jeff,

I've actually had pretty good luck taking pictures indoors and of AFV interiors by turning the flash completely off and using a small (~$5) flexible tripod or carefully bracing the camera. This makes the camera expose for the dark conditions, instead of offsetting for the flash. Virtually every camera above 1.0 Mp has a way to supress or shut off the flash, usually in the settings. Mine actually has a no-flash mode that I can cycle in and out of just by pressing a button on the back.

If you don't brace it, the pics can be blurry. I usually take a couple of shots just to be sure, since electrons are pretty cheap compared to photo processing. It can make framing the shot a little tricky because the screen can be dark, but the results are usually pretty good in conditions that a person can see comfortably in.

Good luck!
C

-> AFV News Discussion Board