Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis...
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:45 pm
    ----
Hey, I'm glad to be of service! I'm here, the GOER's here, what else could I do. This DG has helped me immensely in my research of vehicles, aircraft, and armor in the past, it was the least I could do. I'll only be here 2 more weeks, (one more weekend). I hope to see the Battleship Wisconsin next Saturday at the Naval Mueseum. Now I'll have to find a Navy DG to share those pictures with!

#17: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:17 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Hey, I'm glad to be of service! I'm here, the GOER's here, what else could I do. This DG has helped me immensely in my research of vehicles, aircraft, and armor in the past, it was the least I could do. I'll only be here 2 more weeks, (one more weekend). I hope to see the Battleship Wisconsin next Saturday at the Naval Mueseum. Now I'll have to find a Navy DG to share those pictures with!

Here's another photo from that archive i downloaded. The Wisconsin in a more peaceful moment.....

(Armour content : the 16" guns on the Wisconsin could destroy any known tank.)

#18: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:22 am
    ----
Jinx,
From what I understand, the Wisconsin is in mothballs, still in Naval inventory in case its needed. That the reason you can only visit the deck, all other areas are off limits. I'm looking forward to seeing her in person. Maybe I can find this exact spot and take another picture 51 years later!

#19: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:19 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Jinx,
From what I understand, the Wisconsin is in mothballs, still in Naval inventory in case its needed. That the reason you can only visit the deck, all other areas are off limits. I'm looking forward to seeing her in person. Maybe I can find this exact spot and take another picture 51 years later!
Should be easy to find the spot, I don't think they moved the aft 16" turret in any of the upgrades Smile

#20: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:35 pm
    ----
Thanks for clueing me into where the pic was taken. I will go there directly first. If there is any interest, I may post the pictures here.

#21: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:06 pm
    ----
I think the major clue is the large ventalators. I am pretty sure that those are not in front of the Bow (#1) 16" turret. The turret definitely isn't the #2 turret which fires over the #1 turret. That only leaves the aft (#3)turret. The ventalators should also still be there although they may have been changed with the upgrades that added A/C to some spaces and may have changed the need for ventalators (but I doubt it)

Last edited by bsmart on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:30 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Thanks for clueing me into where the pic was taken. I will go there directly first. If there is any interest, I may post the pictures here.

Here is a link to one of the pages for the U.S.S. Wisconson at navsource.org

www.navsource.org/arch...01/64c.htm

About 1/2 way down (about the 23rd photo) there is one of #3 turret

This is taken from the Starboard side instead of the Port but I think shows all the key features. One thing that rules out it being Turret #1 is that the bow turret has a breakwater about 1/2 a barrel length in front of the turret barbette.

#23: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:27 am
    ----
Even though i well know what curiousity did to the cat.....i had to find out for sure. And yes, that is the aft turret. In fact, i found the caption to go with that photo (not included in the archive i downloaded):

USS Wisconsin (BB-64)

Band concert under the battleship's after 16"/50 guns, while she was operating at sea with the Pacific Fleet, circa 1945.
An aircraft carrier is faintly visible in the right distance.
Sailor in right foreground has name J.C. Smith stencilled on his working jacket.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.

Sgt. Button, if you can get any photos of this beautiful vessel i'd love to see them.

(And remember: it is a vehicle, and it does have armour, and it definitely knew how to fight.)

#24: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
I've got you all covered as far as photo's of the Battleship. Heck, I may hand my camera to someone else so I'm in a picture for a change.

#25: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:44 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I've got you all covered as far as photo's of the Battleship. Heck, I may hand my camera to someone else so I'm in a picture for a change.

Cool!

Hey, do you play any musical instruments?

One-man band concert?

#26: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:24 pm
    ----
No, I dont play any instruments, but I did get my 11 year old son Jeffrey an electric bass guitar / amp this past Christmas. He has posted pictures of it over on Officers Club, under the Guitar Tabs thread. Quite a few musical instruments and discussion being done in that thread.

#27: Re: Neils "GOER" at Fort Eustis... Author: JinxLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:01 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
No, I dont play any instruments, but I did get my 11 year old son Jeffrey an electric bass guitar / amp this past Christmas. He has posted pictures of it over on Officers Club, under the Guitar Tabs thread. Quite a few musical instruments and discussion being done in that thread.

I took a look. That's a nice looking bass. I hope he has fun with it!

I used to play bass.....until i smashed up my (left) thumb 20 years ago. Haven't picked one up since.

(Note: this was not a major loss to the world of music.....)

-> AFV News Discussion Board