WR360 diesel on flatbed?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WR360 diesel on flatbed? Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:28 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
One thought I have having some fun with lately is to put Baluard's kit of the WR360 diesel locomotive on Dragon's SSy eight wheeled flatcar kit no. 6069. This flatcar could hold up to fifty tons and the WR360 weighed in at fotry two so, I am within tolerances weight wise (the model I mean, not my beltline!). I can picture the Germans doing this for the same reason they'd transport a tank in this manner, to save on wear and tear untill the vehicle actually begins its service life. Keeping in mind the WR360 was not meant to pull a load over any great distance, at least not to the best of my knowledge. Do any of you see anything wrong with my idea? I'm wondering if there could be anything I have not taken into account? It is certainly true that I have not seen any photos of a flatcar with a diesel locomotive on it, WR360 or otherwise. However, I have never allowed my inspirations to be limited by what can be proven by photographs as an absence of a photograph does not signify proof it could not happen.
So, unless there is something I've missed, the above idea is do-able.
With thanks-
Geoff Steer [;-{/) Shocked

#2: Re: WR360 diesel on flatbed? Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 pm
    ----
Normally, diesel locomotives that are capable of hauling standard cars are transported as part of the train. However, I don't know what the Reichsbahn did... You might rationalize it by saying that it was built to a different track gauge and was being transported to a different area of operations under Axis control Smile

#3: Re: WR360 diesel on flatbed? Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:02 pm
    ----
Geoff,

basically there is nothing wrong with the idea, as engines have been and are still carried on rail cars, especially if they're geared for switching operations- but usually on depressed center flats, as otherwise you might run into a clearance problem. If the WR360 on the SSy isn't higher or wider than a Panther tank, you should have a nice conversation piece.

Cheers,

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board