Anyone ever seen these Hovercraft in SEA?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Anyone ever seen these Hovercraft in SEA? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:31 am
    ----
I'm going to have to go back to check out this Hovercraft up close and personal. I'll have to see whether or not I can see any markings under the current paint job. I'd like to know if its 1-2or3 that were looking at. I'll keep you all posted.

#17: Re: Anyone ever seen these Hovercraft in SEA? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:42 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
I took these pictures earlier today before the rain hit. I cound'nt find any marking "bleeding" through the paint anywhere. I was esspecially looking at the nose and tail rudders. The museum personell were of no help. They had no clue as to whether they had 1,2,or 3 on display, of the three built. I told them I'd check it out and see what I could tell them. I guess comparing the pictures posted here will be my best bet.

#18: Re: Anyone ever seen these Hovercraft in SEA? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:02 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Is there any chance of getting high enough to see the front deck?

It that is ACV 902, there should be a patch where the 40 mm G.L. was removed. If not, then it would have to be 901 or 903 sense the unit web site stated that only 902 had the G.L. installed.

I am thinking that the only way to tell 901 from 903 is if some of the front center machine gun mount, possbile the base, is still there behind the windows.

901 would not have one, 903 would have a mount for a M2 which was later replaced with a twin M-60 mount. (Per the aritcle in Armor magazine).

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#19: Re: Anyone ever seen these Hovercraft in SEA? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:37 pm
    ----
I personaly spoke with the Ft Eustis museum Director, Curator, and head of research today in their offices. They informed me that the ACV was #903. According to them, 901 was used to keep the other two running after ingesting a south vietnamese soldier and his gear. 902 was being transferred to the south when it was destroyed along with the American commander. #903 is the lone survivor. It has no engine or fan but is otherwise complete. The personell at the museum are suppossed to provide me with a printout of all the museum collections, to include serial numbers for my research / binder I'm putting together. We'll see if they come through. I'll keep you posted.

-> AFV News Discussion Board