Jens LARC / BARC's...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:49 pm
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][/img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h178/88N/000_0750.jpg[/IMG][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
OK Jens, here are your LARC's/BARC's. I will go back 15 April, when my parents are visiting Ft Eustis. My dad wants to see the museum and I will photograph the rear, hulls, and various angles of these vehicles for you. I enjoy doing this so its no big thing. I remember seeing a LARC V up on Lake Erie back in 1976-77. It was going out on the lake and recovering downed remote control aircraft that were towing targets for M42 Dusters and 20mm Vulcan AA guns to fire at out over the lake. This was at Camp Perry, Ohio, during Ohio National Guard summer camps. My father was a Transportaion Officer at the time, and would take the family on a "vacation" to stay at a cottage at Camp Perry at the time. Enough of my babble, I'll get those pictures posted for you in about 10 days. Take care, I enjoy your posts.

#2: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:56 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
For what ever reason, this didn't attach to the first posting. This goes with the middle sized vehicle. Sorry for the mis-cue.

#3: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:22 am
    ----
Well, since this has come up, maybe someone can identify this beast. For scale, that looks like a 10 ton cargo in front of it.

Scene is from Vietnam...

#4: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:31 am
    ----
Where'd that come from? I'd like to take it to the Eustis museum, and have them ID it. When they can't, I'll have my two cents for them, haha. It doesn't quite look like anything I just posted. Closest thing would be the LARC XV but it doesn't look the same over-all. If I can get a big picture, I'd like to print it up and show the museum curator. Maybe even turn him, (or her) on to this site. Doug, I hope to see you in May, once I graduate this school and before I leave for Ft Hood. Lets see what we can do. Take care.

#5: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:07 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Well, since this has come up, maybe someone can identify this beast. For scale, that looks like a 10 ton cargo in front of it.
Scene is from Vietnam...

Possibly the 60 ton capacity LARC LX?

#6: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:30 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Where'd that come from?

I just found it once on a unit website while searching for other 2/17th Cav stuff. It's the biggest image that was available, unfortunately. The caption couldn't identify it, either..just something a G.I. snapped one day over there. I have no other information nor a larger image.

See ya' in May!
Doug

#7: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:49 pm
    ----
Doug,

it's actually less mysterious than you might think Cool I blew the pic up and it's a BARC with some tarpaulins stretched around the operator's cabin (they were moved to the back from the 6th or 7th vehicle on) and the storage lockers on the deck opened- possibly a good old GI party going on?

We now return to our regular program... Laughing

Jens O.

#8: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:10 pm
    ----
Not sure if it's been mentioned but there is a BARC on display in Holland at the Overloon museum. It was previously at the Marshall museum near Rotterdam. It's big!!

#9: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:58 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Scene is from Vietnam...

Thread resurrection:

A casual viewer, Jim R. wrote in via the site "feedback" email line to admins and passed on the following which I'll pass on here (I've sent and email and hope for a reply and maybe he'll join up...I forgot where I located this image originally, but now that I'm home, I'll try to find it again).

"I was browsing the internet for LARC LX information and I came across your site with a message "#3 jens LARC/BARC... Author: Doug Kibbey. The message was trying to identify the vehicle in the picture that was downloaded from a 1st CAV site???. The message is a little old, but if anybody is still interested, it's a picture of a LARC LX (formerly designated as a BARC). What is shown on the stern is a canvas covered wood "hootch" we built to protect us from the sun in Vietnam. I was there in '67/'68. On those BARC's in those years, the stern was not covered. They added a bimini type cover on the stern in later years. As I understand it, the LARC's (V, XV & LX) have been removed from service. There are two LARC LX's in operation in Maine. They were purchased by Seatruk and are used to service the islands off the coast. I contacted the owner, and he was gracious enough to allow me to visit and measure one up in anticipation of building a model of the LARC LX."

#10: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:09 am
    ----
Good to see this thread brough back to life, so to speak. Did the author if this last message, (Jim R.) have actual experiance on LARC / BARC's?

#11: Re: Jens LARC / BARC's... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:23 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Good to see this thread brough back to life, so to speak. Did the author if this last message, (Jim R.) have actual experiance on LARC / BARC's?

Jeff,
Can't say...that's his message in it's entirety and I've not yet had a reply to my email to him. Haven't located the original website where I found that image, either. It might no longer be on the web.

Doug

-> AFV News Discussion Board