Vehicle Restoration: M50A1 Ontos
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Vehicle Restoration: M50A1 Ontos Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:06 pm
    ----
hey don,
way cool! i was almost wondering if it wasnt my grandmother that might have been in the one photo.
i am wondering if "my" photo isnt the same M50 as the one the women are standing in front of? they just did the 180 as seen by the marks on the pavement...

nice photos

#17: Re: Vehicle Restoration: M50A1 Ontos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:29 pm
    ----
I believe they (the vehicles) are one and the same.

I have a magazine of A-C employees from the unveiling event, and a copy of the South Bend Tribune Article from the event. I tried to track down a number of named A-C individuals from the articles, but they apparently have long since passed away, with no surviving family in the area.

I have no information on who those ladies are. The photo came from La Porte Indiana Historical society. It was taken in the Allis-Chalmers factory (known as the 'LaPorte Works') in La Porte.

Don

#18: Re: Vehicle Restoration: M50A1 Ontos Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:18 am
    ----
DONTOS (and anyone else into restorations):

That "...canvas gasket..." thingie between M50 upper and lower hulls sounds more like a pure asbestos gasket than a canvas one. If you come across something like that again, a call to the Base Industrial Hygienist will tell you whether you are dealing with a carcinogenic / lung-scarring material, and recommend a containment or abatement technique for safe removal and disposal of the asbestos. Been there, breathed that, and it's no fun. All old CIAs have used asbestos Loader's gloves in the past, and used asbestos hotplates in barracks, and maybe even encountered it in industry.

It is bad news, and now (mostly) disppeared from view, except in such restorations as you describe. If it's fibrous, beware!

Russ

#19: Re: Vehicle Restoration: M50A1 Ontos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:43 am
    ----
- Russ_Buchan
All old CIAs have used asbestos Loader's gloves in the past...
It is bad news, and now (mostly) disppeared from view, except in such restorations as you describe. If it's fibrous, beware!

Russ

The venerable one speaketh the truth, for Yea!...I am one who donned the gloves of satan with the power to withstandeth the fires of Hades...

Be careful....

#20: Re: Vehicle Restoration: M50A1 Ontos Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:49 am
    ----
Russ

A wise observation.

Fortunately it was only typical canvas straping, and not fiberous asbestos.

We happen to have a large supply of 'cast off' tentage repair supplies. Included was the near identical canvas strapping which was used during reassembly.

The volunteers here are constantly reenforced with the knowledge of the use of HAZMAT from the assortment of vehicles that we deal with.

Better safe than sorry.

As for those 'off white' government issue abestos gloves,....been there done that also.

(not quite CIA, but close... Wink )
(AARP won't even talk to me yet...) Laughing

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board