Bitta web design help please, anyone?
-> Officer's Club

#1: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:31 pm
    ----
I'm building a site for a friend.
There's no payment involved, it's just a favour.

However, I'm having a problem:-
I have an image at the end of the page.
It shows up in wysiwygs and browsers offline but, soon as I put it online, it disappears and all I get is the little white box with a red 'x' showing where it would have been.

Now, I have a clue to what the problem is, but I don't understand it.
My clue is;
When I look at the code offline, the page ends with "/html", as it should do.
But, when I view the code of the page online, "/html" is accompanied by:-

</html>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymRealOnUnload;

function SymOnUnload()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymRealOnUnload != null)
SymRealOnUnload();
}

function SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</script>

I'm guessing that this is what's affecting the appearance of the jpeg but I can't figure out why it's coming up. I've re-written the page and the graphic several times but every time I load it up, this code always appears on the online page.

Any ideas?

#2: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
Btw, the image was originally sliced up but I've since removed all the slices and saved it as a single image jpg, adjusting the page html with the correct file name and address accordingly.

#3: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:44 pm
    ----
Silly question but you are using 'relative' addressing and not 'absolute' ?

Mr. Green

#4: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:12 pm
    ----
Erm..... lol.
Can't actually remember now, I changed some stuff since posting and fixed it.
I went back to the original design and sliced it all up.
(Works fine in javascript, lol)

Thx anyways.

#5: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:12 pm
    ----
Stolen from another forum:

JavaScript Errors about 'SymRealWinOpen'
If you're receiving popup dialogs reporting that 'SymRealWinOpen' is undefined, then somewhere down the line, you're experiencing the effects of Symantec's NIS (Norton Internet Security) Popup and Ad Blocking software. When this program sees a webpage contain key bits of HTML code, it substitutes in some dummy code to prevent ads and popups. If you're a webmaster working on code for a website, you might find that this code gets glued in for you, even though you don't want it to - meaning that when other surfers come across it, they'll see the frustrating JavaScript error. The trick seems to be to turn off Norton's Ad Blocking and popup stopper functionality (although this is a shame, as it has it's uses). Why Norton should decide to annoy webmasters by adding this extra code is anyone's guess, but I'm sure it's all very clever! If you're just surfing and see this error message, contact the webmaster of the site in question - they'll probably want to know that their ad stopper has messed with their code, and is creating errors.

www.filesaveas.com/solutions.html

#6: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:15 pm
    ----
LOL
Kewl find Xcal.
Guess that'll be what it was then (although it was only a 'simple' jpeg I wanted to use as a footer when I was having the problem).

#7: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:18 pm
    ----
My bet would be on the address of the pic... Wink

#8: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:25 pm
    ----
lol
Nope.
XCal had it right.
Pity coz I usually defend Norton, but that one's a stinker.
Wink

#9: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:43 pm
    ----
Great call Xcal! Now where did I leave that little icon with the Yellow Norton Man holding his nose....:D

#10: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:55 pm
    ----
Dunno bout that but someone else just posted this on another forum I asked. lolol

#11: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:57 pm
    ----
ROFLMAO.... toooooooo funny!

#12: Re: Bitta web design help please, anyone? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:09 pm
    ----
he jest followed it up....
lolol

-> Officer's Club