Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:19 am
    ----
Interesting tidbits on a wargaming page I hang out on:

theminiaturespage.com/...v?id=71581

#2: Re: Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:19 am
    ----
An interesting bit of rambling.

My father was in ADA (retiring in 1980) He worked in combat development his last few years. Primarily Improved Hawk and Stinger. He tinkered in and around DIVAD and Patriot.

He still speaks fondly of the DIVAD, although considered the M48 chassis its primary weakness.

Don

#3: Re: Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:42 am
    ----
I've been working on a kit of the Sgt York but using the original M1 hull as the chassis. I've decided to call it the M247A1 Sgt. Maj. York.

#4: Re: Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:57 am
    ----
- Sabot
I've been working on a kit of the Sgt York but using the original M1 hull as the chassis. I've decided to call it the M247A1 Sgt. Maj. York.

Good one Rob,...I like that.

#5: Re: Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:06 am
    ----
- Sabot

Interesting idea Cool

Have the Academy York sitting begging to be assembled .

That and about 12 other armour kits in the cupboard Mr. Green

Cheers

Dirk

#6: Re: Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:38 pm
    ----
The idea came to me several years ago when I bought a lot of half assembled Tamiya modern US kits on eBay. The York was missing most of the suspension components (no tracks, road wheels or sprockets) and the M1 had the turret badly built but otherwise untouched.

It seemed like a natural pairing. I added smoke grenade launchers, a commander's machine gun, hull APU and some other detail parts. It looks more impressive than the original M48 hull version.

#7: Re: Sgt. York DIVAADS discussion for those interested Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:41 pm
    ----
The Sgt York was supposed to be able to keep up with tank battalions so the only logical way to field a weapon system like that would have been on an M1 chassis.

I remember reading a news article when I was at Fort Bliss in the late 70's. The press had been invited out to the range for a live-fire demonstration. Everyone was seated in bleachers and when they powered up the turret it turned and pointed at the spectators! Ford Aerospace technicians jumped in and tried to fix it but couldn't. So they didn't fire a shot.

I have several photos of a Sgt York if any of you modellors need them. Another name for Sabot's contraption could be the NEW YORK.

-> AFV News Discussion Board