Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:11 pm
    ----
It's official. The Life of the Soldier program, held on Memorial Day weekend, has been cancelled. It is planned for it to resume the same weekend next year.

www.lifeofthesoldier.com/

Sad

#2: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:41 pm
    ----
SO there is nothing planned for the Patton Museum for Memorial Day this year??

What happened?

#3: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:43 pm
    ----
:(:(

#4: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
I'm saddened to hear about this, and of course curious as to what happened.

I was hoping to come to this, however some problems at work were to keep me away. Now I guess that's just as well. I DO plan to save up for next year however.

#5: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:53 pm
    ----
All of the museum's resources are being applied to a CMH inspection in June. It was judged that the inspection has priority and everything else has to stop for the time being. All projects, except for those that get the museum ready for inspection, have been on hold for awhile anyway.

It is hoped that the museum will be able to hold its Armor in Asia program in August. Don or I will post updates here and I will make them at www.armorfortheages.com/

Garry

#6: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:55 pm
    ----
Me & two of my friends went on a marathon trip for the 2004 Memorial Day event that is still well remembered... We had originally planned to leave Northern Virginia on Saturday morning, go to the show on Sunday, and return Monday. Expected drive time was 10 hours each way. But the weather intervened with forecasts of much rain on Sunday.

So... We left Northern Virginia on Friday evening after work, drove 12 hours almost straight into Radcliff, couldnt check into our hotel yet, had to wash up in a restaurant bathroom, washed our teeth in a parking lot, and then went on post for the event. Drove around post taking pictures of many a tank, checked out the Patton Museum and then saw the display. Plus Don showed us around the LST Building & another storage facility. Got a good night's sleep, then drove back on Sunday... Fondly remembered but, it was a real exhausting marathon at the same time...

Neil

#7: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:05 am
    ----
- Garry_Redmon

It is hoped that the museum will be able to hold its Armor in Asia program in August.
Garry

Now that sounds interesting! In the meantime, I'll be bringing a couple of items in May that might be of interest to the museum for that event....
Pity I have to choose, but May is better for me, public program or no..."Armor in Asia" has Roy and my name written all over it (I gotta' meet that guy, someday....)

#8: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:41 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Garry_Redmon

It is hoped that the museum will be able to hold its Armor in Asia program in August.
Garry

Now that sounds interesting! In the meantime, I'll be bringing a couple of items in May that might be of interest to the museum for that event....
Pity I have to choose, but May is better for me, public program or no..."Armor in Asia" has Roy and my name written all over it (I gotta' meet that guy, someday....)

'Armor in Asia' is our 4th of July program, after moving the WWII reenactment program (Life of the Soldier) to Memorial Day Weekend.

Well, since I now have that weekend 'free' anyone up for an 'unofficial' AFV DG reunion?

......anyone? ....'Bueller',.......'Bueller',......(movie reference) Mr. Green

(armor content on the movie trivia?....Ferris Buellers Day Off,.....When he's joyriding in the Ferrarri, Ferris Bueller is wearing a black beret with the 32nd Armor Crest....'VICTORY OR DEATH' RED LIONS!!)

Don

#9: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:51 am
    ----
- Dontos

'Armor in Asia' is our 4th of July program, after moving the WWII reenactment program (Life of the Soldier) to Memorial Day Weekend.

Don

Well, if you ask me, an "Armor in Asia" program is just crazy....everybody knows you can't operate armor in Asian jungles!

AFV union/reunion at Knox Mem. Day? Put me down for "Yo, Bubba!"

#10: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:59 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos

Don

Well, if you ask me, an "Armor in Asia" program is just crazy....everybody knows you can't operate armor in Asian jungles!

Okay,....how many times did you hum a CCR tune as you were busting brush in the ACAV? (you know...." RUN THRU THE JUNGLE...." ) Mr. Green

Don

#11: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:36 am
    ----
- Dontos
- Doug_Kibbey
- Garry_Redmon

Garry

Well, since I now have that weekend 'free' anyone up for an 'unofficial' AFV DG reunion?

That's probably going to be scheduled as a Work Weekend at the museum since we won't be playing with the tanks. Maybe some out-of-town "volunteers" can help finish the World War I exhibit. Smile

#12: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:20 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Okay,....how many times did you hum a CCR tune as you were busting brush in the ACAV? (you know...." RUN THRU THE JUNGLE...." ) Mr. Green
Don

My first ACAV was named CCR IV. The one I used to remove a land mine with.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#13: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:42 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos

Don

Okay Who's up for a AFVNews Shindig Memorial Day weekend?

As I just explained to Doug in an E-mail my work schedule just freed up for that weekend yesterday when mamnagement decided not to do some power/AC work that would have required me to be here to shutdown and bring back up some computers. I still need to run it by my wife but I'm packing the car!

Who else can make it????

#14: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:55 pm
    ----
- bsmart

As I just explained to Doug in an E-mail my work schedule just freed up for that weekend yesterday when mamnagement decided not to do some power/AC work that would have required me to be here to shutdown and bring back up some computers. I still need to run it by my wife but I'm packing the car!

Who else can make it????

Like I said..."I'm in"...already got tickets and the official spousal okey-dokey (in fact, she's coming with for part of the time...).

Last one there is a rotten apricot...!

#15: Re: Life of the Soldier program cancelled for this year Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:27 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- bsmart

Who else can make it????

Like I said..."I'm in"...already got tickets and the official spousal okey-dokey (in fact, she's coming with for part of the time...).

Last one there is a rotten apricot...!

Doug

Just for 'evoking the 'A' word Shocked ,....I can arrange for a #10 can of A******'s for your visit. Mr. Green

'Sabot' & 'Tumbleweed', whatcha doing that weekend? Wink

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board