3rd AD 'Lingles'... (circa 1974)
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: 3rd AD 'Lingles'... (circa 1974) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:51 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

About mid summer of 1970, I was in Berlin and saw a couple of Ford Galaxy 500s. They had mud grip tires, I though they might be jacked up just a little for more ground clearance, painted FLAT OD and the only thing that shined was the glass. The engines sounded like something out of a race car. They belonged to the US Army version of the SMLM group that ran around inside West Germany. Our guys did the same thing inside East Germany with those Galaxy 500s.

Spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

SMLM - Soviet Military Liaison Mission

Sounds like 429 4-V's, which found their way into quite a few Galaxies in that last great year for FE big blocks in FoMoCo chariots.
-Doug, who had a 427 FE in a '58 Fairlane....totally not original. Mr. Green

#17: Re: 3rd AD 'Lingles'... (circa 1974) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:02 pm
    ----
Better than the 428 4V which they put in the late 60's Tbirds. So sensitive that if you tuned it up in a heated garage then parked it outside overnite it would barely start. That was also the 4door Tbird with the 'suicide rear hinged back doors.

Armor content - I think that beast had as much steel in it as the average light tank

#18: Re: 3rd AD 'Lingles'... (circa 1974) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:21 pm
    ----
- bsmart
That was also the 4door Tbird with the 'suicide rear hinged back doors.

Armor content - I think that beast had as much steel in it as the average light tank

Bob,
Yuch...Phooey...those were really ugly 'Birds. 428 CJ's (which those weren't) and 429 4V's that replaced them were supremely powerful and reliable engines if backyard mechanics didn't monkey with them. CJ's were a threat in any venue, street or track, with no modding...much as a good 440 Magnum was. If anyone needed anything more than those, and wanted to do race-prepping, they shoulda' got a 427 or a Hemi (though unmodified, CJ's and Magnums were a better choice on the street, most of the time).
Armor content: XR311 recon cars used three displacement engines in the test vehicles...from 318 to 360's (and I think a 273 early on). The 360 was a hoot in this vehicle...and it would have accepted larger...sure wish I had one!
(shown below, note Holley 4V instead of Carter AFB)

-> AFV News Discussion Board