A legend passes....
-> Officer's Club

#1: A legend passes.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:43 pm
    ----
Scott Crossfield, dead at 84 in single engine plane crash in Georgia. Details unknown.

#2: Re: A legend passes.... Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:18 pm
    ----
Seems to be thunderstorms and the engine died.

#3: Re: A legend passes.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:00 pm
    ----
Sorry to hear this. Wasn't it one of his X-15 flights that ended with a landing that broke the back of the plane?

Tailwinds.....

#4: Re: A legend passes.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:06 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Sorry to hear this. Wasn't it one of his X-15 flights that ended with a landing that broke the back of the plane?

Tailwinds.....

I belive so...and for sure he was in the one doing static testing when the engine exploded and blew the cockpit some 50' from the rest of the plane...while he sat patiently inside waiting for rescue from the fire that engulfed the cockpit. I think it was calculated that he sustained something >50 G's from the accelerations following the explosion.

#5: Re: A legend passes.... Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:47 pm
    ----
Sad new indeed. Just saw a show about him on the Military Channel not to long ago.

www.nasa.gov/centers/d...-p021.html

www.edwards.af.mil/his...field.html

www.avweb.com/news/pro...924-1.html

#6: Re: A legend passes.... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:12 am
    ----
Sad

#7: Re: A legend passes.... Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:32 am
    ----
Saw it on the Nightly news last night. A full life of flight, amazing.

#8: Re: A legend passes.... Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:08 am
    ----
Sad

#9: Re: A legend passes.... Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:20 am
    ----
Chuck Yeager had some rather interesting things to say about Crossfields passing. Must have been quite a rivalry between those two!!!!!!!!!!

#10: Re: A legend passes.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:57 am
    ----
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Mr. Crossfield led quite the life. This 3 page story on him was in the Friday, 21 April issue of the Richmond Times Dispatch. I was at Ft Eustis when this came out. I wanted to post it sooner but was quite busy. I realize it's sideways but the picture quality was better this way. Yes, Chuck Yeager and Mr Crossfield had a rivalry. Yeager broke Crossfields Mach 2 achievements just weeks later. I don't believe they got along well but respected each other just the same.

#11: Re: A legend passes.... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:57 am
    ----
Thanks for the pics and the story Jeff...

-> Officer's Club