holiday
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: holiday Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:22 pm
    ----
am going to las vegas and San Francisco at the end of may,anyone know of any military museums ect .,my relations tried littlefield with no luck
thanks dennis

community.webshots.com...wbridge555

community.webshots.com...rowbridge5

#2: Re: holiday Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:08 am
    ----
Hello,
Nellis is very close to Las Vegas. it is on the air force base.

Regards,
Lesley

NELLIS, NEVADA
Air force base: located here is the Threat Training Facility with several tanks. The T-72 is an old model.
T-34/85 ins -
T-54 ins -
T-62 Egyptian/Syrian army ins -
T-72

OVERTON, NEVADA
Town: VFW post
M41 W.Bulldog US army

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
Town - South El Monte, 1918 North Rosemead blvd: American museum of military heritage. The M48 should be a non-ballistic prototype.
M4A3 Sherman US army pre -
M47 Patton US army pre -
M48 Patton US army pre -
M48A1 Patton US army pre -
M60A1 US army pre -

BAKERFIELD, CALIFORNIA
Town: located at the local surplus store.
Chieftain mk. UK army

BARSTOW, CALIFORNIA
Town: located were insterstate 40 and 15 come together on Barstow road just north of the interstate. Across the street from the fire department. The M60 is located at the veterans home
M47 Patton Italian army? 403 30107064 jan06
M60A3 US army 1807 JJ0672 pre feb06

#3: Re: holiday Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:44 am
    ----
- L.Delsing

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
Town - South El Monte, 1918 North Rosemead blvd: American museum of military heritage. The M48 should be a non-ballistic prototype.
M47 Patton US army pre -
M48 Patton US army pre -
M48A1 Patton US army pre -
M60A1 US army pre -

Just to be clear, and keep our friend from getting lost, El Monte is firmly situated in the East Los Angeles area, not San Diego, which is about 90 miles further south (though we do have a lovely air and space museum and the floating aircraft carrier museum, CV-41 "Midway").

I'd say drop in, but I expect to be in Ft. Knox if we're talkin' about Memorial Day weekend...

#4: Re: holiday Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:01 pm
    ----
Dennis,
A PM sent your way.

#5: Re: holiday Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:55 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- L.Delsing

Just to be clear, and keep our friend from getting lost, El Monte is firmly situated in the East Los Angeles area, not San Diego, which is about 90 miles further south (though we do have a lovely air and space museum and the floating aircraft carrier museum, CV-41 "Midway").

I'd say drop in, but I expect to be in Ft. Knox if we're talkin' about Memorial Day weekend...

Ooops, thanks Doug!

#6: Re: holiday Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:29 pm
    ----
Las Vegas

Last time I was at Nellis they wouldn't let me in the gate without a DoD sticker Crying or Very sad West of Nellis, across Interstate 15, is a National Guard Armory that probably has a few M1's. Look for a tan water tower with National Guard logo. This is home of 1/221 Cav, part of the 11th ACR at Ft. Irwin.

On East Sahara, next to Dept of Motor Vehicles, is an Army Reserve heavy transportation company. Should be some big 'HET's' there. (If they are not in Iraq.)

Go North on US95 about 45 miles to Indian Springs Air Force Auxillary Field and you can probably watch Predator UAV's flying around. Some days you can see live bombing practice from the highway as well.

If you have time go take the Hoover Dam tour Smile

#7: Re: holiday Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:06 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
- Doug_Kibbey
- L.Delsing

Ooops, thanks Doug!

No problem...there are some neighborhoods around there where you'd need to be under armor just to get in and out without somebody bustin' a cap in yo' a$$.

#8: Re: holiday Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:31 am
    ----
Dennis,
If your landing in Vegas, and going to SanFran, you could stop by the 11th ACR / Fort Irwin Museum. Its about 2.5 hours from Vegas. Once you get to Barstow, CA., on the 15, head towards Ft. Irwin, (its 34 miles one way). Being a military post, they will inspect your vehicle before allowing you on the post. However, if you truely want on and want to visit the museum, (which is only open Monday-Friday) let me know through PM. I will give you the museum directors name and how to contact him for a tour. His name is Neil Morrison, a great guy. I have done alot of voluteer work at the museum and he knows me quite well. Ask him for the guide that shows you where all the static pieces are around the post. I compiled that list so he should have it. I will be at Ft Irwin from 6 May through about 1 June before I PCS to Ft Hood. Let me know when you'll be there and I'll try to show you arouns some if I'm not to busy moving.

#9: Re: holiday Author: Burik PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:43 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Doug:

When you get to Ft Knox check to see if the OIF Abrams is done. I helped them with the markings and such. They were still looking for an extended bustle rack and jerrycan racks last I heard, so I don't know if it is on display yet. Maybe you can take a pic and post it here?

Bob

#10: Re: holiday Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:38 pm
    ----
I should like to thank everyone for your suggestions of places to visit,have written them all down and forwarded them on to my niece at menlo park.
seems there's more to San Francisco than Alcatraz??
regards dennis

#11: Re: holiday Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:08 pm
    ----
- Burik

When you get to Ft Knox check to see if the OIF Abrams is done. I helped them with the markings and such. They were still looking for an extended bustle rack and jerrycan racks last I heard, so I don't know if it is on display yet. Maybe you can take a pic and post it here?

Bob

Bob

The OIF Abrams is complete (minus smoke grenade launchers). The whole OIF display is still in upgrade, but an excellent update to the gallery.

Don

#12: Re: holiday Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:00 am
    ----
Here's a picture of the OIF M1A1. The markings are dead on accurate. Serial number D6387. The number could make it one of 3ACR's Desert Storm tanks. A little to old for it to be there for Cobra II. All of the tanks 3ID had were 11000 series and above. DA form 2408-4's tell the story most of the time. My friend was on "All the way to Bagdad" A14.

Joe D

#13: Re: holiday Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:29 am
    ----
JOE

SHAME ON YOU!!!...... The skirt SN is one thing,.....but this is like the 'Hood' Tank.

Trivia: (To see if you looked closely enough..)

Whats weird here?

On a side note: In mid-88 with 3rd AD, I drew L6116. Never forgot that SN. Great tank!!

Don

#14: Re: holiday Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:54 am
    ----
No Manhole cover in front of the Loader's station, (CITV mount). We had some in Riley like that in 2nd BDE (92-94) All our tanks were the 3ACR's tired workhorses that they turned in for Heavy commons in Saudi before the ground war. 2nd BDE (3-37/4-37) turned in their M1 105's and got them after the ground war before returning to Riley. Had a lot of problems with turret rings locking up on those E1's/A1's in Riley.
On another note, My first tank 1020 M60A3 TTS, 3AD, 3-12 Cav. Lot of turret problems but I was the driver so not my problem. 998 was my first tank as a gunner, another M60A3. Sweet machine. After that I went stateside and had a different M60A1 every 2-3 months. Different versions too. What a nightmare.

Joe D

Joe D

#15: Re: holiday Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:40 am
    ----
At Polk in 89-91 I had (M-1's) SN 666 and 223.

SN 666 never made it to the field for 2 years. We'd pull out the MP and she'd shed track, final drive, engine, or something.... finally got her floated for the ORF tank, SN 223. Had a pretty paint job, fresh from the paint bay, then I PCS'd to Korea.

In the midst of the maint problems with SN 666, I was totally frustrated and even thried to have the chaplain bless the tank. He refused. The damn tank was cursed. Her name,......being in C Co 3/70 Ar,..... "CONDEMNED". (Sad but true!!)

-> AFV News Discussion Board