M8A1 Cargo Tractor
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M8A1 Cargo Tractor Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:46 am
    ----
Hi HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

Lemme get this right - those fuel bladders would be full as they're towed behind?

That would be a 'roger'.

During Vietnam the Army used something like that to move fuel and water about. While those pictured above look more like over size tires, the Vietnam era ones where more like large rubber barrels with metal hubs on each end. There was a lifting point on each hub for a sling which could be used to tow (generaly very short distances) the barrel or airlift it by helicopter.

Your googling was much better than mine. The only thing I found was the manuel.

That junk yard photo is NOT the one I had seen before. If I remember right, the photo was posted on the old AFV News site with a question, what is this thing? It was a poor photo and was very hard to see much detail.

Thanks to all for posting their photos.

On the question of when this vehicle was retired, I think we can find that by looking at when the equipment it was towing was retired.

The lasts of the towed 155mm cannon and 8 inch howitzers were replaced by the M107/M110 SP systems during the mid to late 1960s.
The towed 75mm, 90mm, and 120mm AAA guns were replaced by the Nike missile system during the very late 1950s, early 1960s.
With those systems retired, the M8 HST most likely followed them.

As for retiring when the M41 tank did, I don't think so. The M42 Duster (also based on the M41 tank hull) was active with the National Guard until sometime into the very late 1980s, early 1990s. When I retired April of 1987 and moved to El Paso, the M42 Duster school were still running here at Ft. Bliss in the Logan Heights area.

My 2 cents, and some of my very old history.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#17: Re: M8A1 Cargo Tractor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:08 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

Lemme get this right - those fuel bladders would be full as they're towed behind?

That would be a 'roger'.

During Vietnam the Army used something like that to move fuel and water about. While those pictured above look more like over size tires, the Vietnam era ones where more like large rubber barrels with metal hubs on each end. There was a lifting point on each hub for a sling which could be used to tow (generaly very short distances) the barrel or airlift it by helicopter.

This is the VN type "fuel blivet" that Roy refers to...this one is full...they collapse as they empty. Holds 500 gallons, IIRC. I don't think this type was intended to be "rolled" any real distance, as in being towed somewhere...in any event, ours were transported by CH-47. We had those towable "water buffalo" tank-on-a-trailer" for potable water...it was also flown out, then towed by one of the tracks to new NDP's or wherever when we were "on the move".

This is a "G" troop 2/11ACR Sheridan at the fuel/ammo (seen in the pile of boxes) resupply point at a Night Defensive Perimeter", probably Hau Nghia province, 1972.

#18: Re: M8A1 Cargo Tractor Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:17 pm
    ----
Very interesting stuff. Thanks, guys!

#19: Re: M8A1 Cargo Tractor Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:37 am
    ----
- binder001
I can't say all of the uses of the M8-series tractors, but I remember seeing one reference to a "Skysweeper body" version that was obviously meant to tow and support the 75mm automatic "Skysweeper" AAA gun.

The Skysweeper body was the T48.

-> AFV News Discussion Board