USS Wisconsin pics....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: USS Wisconsin pics.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:12 pm
    ----
[img][/img]
I don't know about the New Jersey being longer, but the Wisconsin was involved in an accident off the VA shore with a destroyer in the fog. It was brought in and the nose of the future USS Kentucky was placed on her and then the actual Kentucky was never finished. See below;
"Throughout April and into May, Wisconsin operated locally off the Virginia capes. On 6 May, the battleship collided with the destroyer Eaton (DDE-510) in a heavy fog; Wisconsin put into Norfolk with extensive damage to her bow and, one week later, entered drydock at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. A novel expedient speeded her repairs and enabled the ship to carry out her scheduled midshipman training cruise that summer. A 120 ton, 68 foot (21 m) section of the bow of the uncompleted battleship Kentucky was transported by barge, in one section, from Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Corporation of Newport News, Virginia, across Hampton Roads to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. Working round-the clock, Wisconsin's ship's force and shipyard personnel completed the operation which grafted the new bow on the old battleship in a mere 16 days. On 28 June 1956, the ship was ready for sea."
I hope this clears things up some.

#32: Re: USS Wisconsin pics.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:16 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
[img][/img]
I don't know about the New Jersey being longer, but the Wisconsin was involved in an accident off the VA shore with a destroyer in the fog. It was brought in and the nose of the future USS Kentucky was placed on her and then the actual Kentucky was never finished. See below;
"Throughout April and into May, Wisconsin operated locally off the Virginia capes. On 6 May, the battleship collided with the destroyer Eaton (DDE-510) in a heavy fog; Wisconsin put into Norfolk with extensive damage to her bow and, one week later, entered drydock at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. A novel expedient speeded her repairs and enabled the ship to carry out her scheduled midshipman training cruise that summer. A 120 ton, 68 foot (21 m) section of the bow of the uncompleted battleship Kentucky was transported by barge, in one section, from Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Corporation of Newport News, Virginia, across Hampton Roads to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. Working round-the clock, Wisconsin's ship's force and shipyard personnel completed the operation which grafted the new bow on the old battleship in a mere 16 days. On 28 June 1956, the ship was ready for sea."
I hope this clears things up some.
The USS Eaton survived the collison also. I remember attending an 'Open House' on her in about 1962 in Baltimore. A the time I didn't know about the collision but the name of the ship stayed in my (at the time) young and impressionable mind

Last edited by bsmart on Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

#33: Re: USS Wisconsin pics.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:35 pm
    ----
[img][/img[img][/img] The Eaton was nearly cut in half and had to be towed, stern first into port for repairs. These pictures show the Eaton, and the Wisconsin recieving the Kentuckys new bow. The Wisconsins nick-name is "Whisky", this was thought to be for one of two reasons. First would be the phonetic pronounciation for "W". The other idea is that it came from the "WIS" of the Wisconsin, and the "KY" of the Kentucky. Just a little trivia for you.

#34: Re: USS Wisconsin pics.... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:06 pm
    ----
Hmm? Aren't those the gun barrels that Cher straddled in one of her videos? Now that would be a paint chip for the ages!

#35: Re: USS Wisconsin pics.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:24 pm
    ----
There is a section on the side of the forward turret that has celeberty signatures signed on it that is now covered by plexiglass. I don't remember seeing Cher's name there though. Marie Osmonds name was there but I could live without that paint chip, haha.

-> AFV News Discussion Board