Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:39 pm
    ----
There is a cropped version of this picture in Tank Data 1, but this picture has more background and importantly a date and place - APG in December 1946...

I'm pretty certain that's the Nashorn just visible to the right of the NC2, and the rear of the St Chamond (which went back to France in 1987) in front of that. Not sure what that is to the rear of the NC2, but I suspect its a German SPG.

This is one of those "where is it now" I havent been able to confirm. It clearly survived WWII (unlike the A7V). But unfortunately, I suspect it didnt survive "The 1952-1953 Salvage Catastrophe."

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:08 pm
    ----
Some other interesting pictures for sale by the same seller.

Renault FT17s with 75mm guns???

Carro Veloce L.3 (CV 3/35) light tanks

Carro Veloce L.3 (CV 3/35) flamethrower light tank

Hotchkiss H35s

Char 39/40

Char B

M6 tank destroyers? on the Panama Canal road

M10 tank destroyer in the factory

French Sherman in the Colmar Pocket

T88 Armored Recovery Vehicle lifting an M113 from the water.

Neil

#3: Re: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:10 pm
    ----
I wonder if someone went for a test swim and didn't make sure the drainplugs were in place

#4: Re: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:40 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

I wonder if someone went for a test swim and didn't make sure the drainplugs were in place

The first time I saw that photo I was thinking the same thing. But then I notice that there was no water pouring out of any of the bottom hull opennings. Maybe it has been hanging there for a while while they let the water drain back into the pool.

As for lifting a M113 full of water, I am not sure a M-88 could have done that. Not with the blade up anyway.

I was part of a recovery action where we towed a M-113 out of a river. The crew tried to cross a rain soak river during the dark. When they got to the other bank, the vehicle would not climb up out of the water. After a bit, the driver noticed his feet were getting wet. When he looked down at his boots, he saw that the vehicle was filling with water. At that point he turned the engine and then the electrical power off (which killed their radio). It happening so fast that the rest of us had no idea where they were. Out of four APCs that were working that night, we lost three of them. Two in deep mud and that one into the river.

The water logged one was covered by water over the rear up to the back of the TC's cupola. That and the engine grills where just above the water level. We used three other M-113A1s, pulling in reverse, to pull it out. The C.O. sent the TC diving into the vehicle to open the troop hatch in the ramp. That let most of the water flow out as we slowly pulled it up onto the bank.

Some more of my very old history.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:46 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Char 39/40

So is this an Armored 'FRENCH HORN'.... Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Sorry, couldn't help it....)

Don

#6: Re: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:48 pm
    ----
I was thinking the same thing (especially about the weight of a waterfilled M113 but if I remember my Jr High science the water weight would only be a factor once it is above the surface of the 'pond' so if they took it slowley and allowed the water to drain as they lifted the hull it would be the same as lifting a dry M113. That could also explain why there is no water pouring out.

As a side note one of the managers at my office used to work at the FMC plant in Charleston WV and test drove M113 series vehicles as part of QA. Occasionally a vehicle would be selected off the line to get the full load of GFE equipment and run through a fuller test program including swimming. He had one sink under him because not all the seals had been properly installed

#7: Re: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:06 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Dontos
- Neil_Baumgardner

Char 39/40

So is this an Armored 'FRENCH HORN'.... Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Sorry, couldn't help it....)

Don

I was thinking it was the Division Band! I like 'Armoured French Horn' better. Sense it's French, must have the 'U' in Armor.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#8: Re: Interesting picture on Ebay - Renault NC2 tank at APG Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:55 pm
    ----
Neil,

in the first photo I think it's the Hummel to the right and the Nashorn in the background.

The "Hotchkiss" H39 are all Renaults, since they have 5 roadwheels vs. 6, on the frontal shot you can also make out the oval Renault emblem on the front, H39s would have the raised Hotchkiss on a square, as in one of the other photos.

Cheers,

JM

-> AFV News Discussion Board