REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917 Author: THETANKMASTER PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:41 pm
    ----
American six-ton tank M1917 - Fort Knox- 5 new photos
www.thetankmaster.com/...917_01.asp

#2: Re: REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:16 pm
    ----
Hi TankMaster! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the link! Great looking resteration job.
I take it that was the vehicle found in Afghanistan?

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:51 pm
    ----
I don't think so. I think it is the one that was already at the musuem. Here is the picture I took last year.

Here are picture I took of the Afgani FT-17 on the same trip

#4: Re: REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917 Author: T13b1(be)Location: belgium PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:59 pm
    ----
Is there somebody that knows a bid about the historie of the FT-17 afgani ?
thanks

#5: Re: REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:52 pm
    ----
Following the fall of the Taliban govt in afganistan, Allied advisory teams began doing assessments on what equipment was usable for the future Afgahn Armed Forces.

A joint armor advisor team was wandering around one of several military vehicle 'grave yard's'. A French & an American armor officer saw the FT Turret sitting in the sand. They discovered the hull beside the turret. Looking around another full vehicle was discovered. The vehicles were the 'rescued' from the scrap yard, and then the Afgahn provisional govt presented the vehicles to the US Army ( & the Patton Museum) as thanks.

The vehicles were flown from Afganistan to Ft Knox.

Efforts are ongoing to fully restore one of the vehicles. Additionally there is a research effort to attempt to discover how the vehicles got to Afganistan.

I'm sure more will follow with these interesting vehicles.

HTH
Don

#6: Re: REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917 Author: T13b1(be)Location: belgium PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:27 am
    ----
thank you
It's amazing it got there in the first place becouse it's a long way from it's place of brith nl. France or is it perhaps a Amaerican model?

#7: Re: REF. PICS: American six-ton tank M1917 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 am
    ----
- T13b1(be)
thank you
It's amazing it got there in the first place becouse it's a long way from it's place of brith nl. France or is it perhaps a Amaerican model?

Its an FT-17M with a girod turret.

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board