Survey
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Survey Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 am
    ----
Suppose we started a 'round robin' book sharing program? For example: I mail a book to Dontos. He reads it and mails it to Doug. He reads and sends to Roy. And so on until everyone who wants to read it has done so. Then it goes back to the owner.

#2: Re: Survey Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:04 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Suppose we started a 'round robin' book sharing program? For example I mail a book to Dontos. He reads it and mails it to Doug. He reads and sends to Roy. And so on until everyone who wants to read it has done so. Then it goes back to the owner.
There should be another category

"Sounds great but no I won't send my Hunnicutt'

#3: Re: Survey Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 am
    ----
- bsmart
There should be another category

"Sounds great but no I won't send my Hunnicutt'

"...and I'll keep any Hunnicutt's that I don't have."

#4: Re: Survey Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:02 pm
    ----
Damnit... I want to do this just for the Hunnicutt books!

But yeah, I'll do it. I've got a lot of books on Rhodesia and South Africa but probably nothing that you guys don't have on the technical side of AFVs.

#5: Re: Survey Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:16 pm
    ----
I'm not as interested in borrowing 'technical' books but in memoirs and such that I figure are in the 'read it at least once but maybe never again' category.

Actually I have a very good used book store nearby (They have been in business for 29 years) and have been picking up stuff that I figure I will read one day just because the price is good.

If we do this I may pick up some just to seed the pot.

Not directly Armor related I finished "Fortitude: The D-Day Deception Campaign by Roger Hesketh a while back and it is sitting on the shelf. A very good book about the development and implementation of the Deception effort and the Doublecross system.

Anyone want to borrow it let me know

#6: Re: Survey Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:16 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

I would love to see the Hunnicutt books I don't have, but I would NEVER trust any mail/shipping service with mine or anyone else's. If a book should ever get lost or damaged, there is no way they would cover the cost of a replacement. Sad

Interesting Idea, I for one, voted for "I would kept the book". Twisted Evil

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#7: Re: Survey Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:00 pm
    ----
It is a noble idea! However, as much as I want to be a Christian gentleman, when it comes to books I tend to subscribe to a narrow "Circle of Trust". 98% of all people are fine, but it's that other 2% that screw it up for everybody. To send the Hunnicutts or Faint Praise, etc very far would require a lot of faith in the borrower and the shipper. I'm sure others have books that they value as highly. It would almost require borrowers to post $5,000-$10,000 (USD) bond per person for loss or damage (and to encourage honest dealing.

Mow if someone was visiting eastern Nebraska and wanted to stop by and look at any books or photos, that's a whole different deal. I can't guarantee that I'll do much housecleaning, but you can come look at books and we'll find some kind of beef or pork critter to throw on the grill.

Gary

#8: Re: Survey Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:48 pm
    ----
I'll admit that much of my 'core collection' wouldn't be available, at least at first, and some like my Hunnicutts would probably never be on the 'available' list. But I think I have a fair collection of other books that may be of interest. But I think the logistics may end up being rough to handle. What does it cost to ship a book via 'media mail' these days?

Another option that others have used (I have been too lazy so far) is interlibrary loan. I imagine that almost anything that I would be willing to trust to the mail system is probably available to someone through interlibrary loan.

But I'll still give it a go and join in. I may even allow my Ogerkowitz out of the house if some one wants to borrow it, But Hunnicutt is still on the restricted list.

Of course a similar offer to Gary's to anyone visiting the DC/Central Maryland area is in effect. My wife would cringe (You CAN'T take anyone down in THAT ROOM!!) if I tried to take you into the game/computer/inner sanctum, but the upstairs Library is defintly fair game and she'll get over it if we go down to the bunker (Hey if she didn't want me to take folks down there she wouldn't have gotten me a 6' Slide Rule to hang on the wall Smile

#9: Re: Survey Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:32 pm
    ----
This is a good idea, but do be careful with what you send. The post office lost 20% of my sister's grad school applications, which were all sent certified mail. I also had an order from www.rwmilitarybooks.com that was allegedly lost in the mail. I didn't have the shipment insured, so the sender has used that fact to refuse to do anything about it. Sad

-> AFV News Discussion Board