Searching for Perfection: An Encyclopedia of US Army T-Seri
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Searching for Perfection: An Encyclopedia of US Army T-Seri Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:40 pm
    ----
Does anyone have this book? Can you recommend it? I stumbled across it while looking for T92 and T34 info. Looks interesting and its not prohibitively expensive.

Searching for Perfection: An Encyclopedia of US Army T-Series Vehicle Development 1925-1958
David R. Haugh

The only definitive reference to the U.S. Army’s T-series vehicles - covers 33 years from 1925 to 1958, including the prolific World War Two years.

Confused between a T2 Armored Car, a T2 Scout Car, a T2 Combat Car, and T2 Squad Car? Only this important new book tells you.

How many T-series Medium Tanks were completed? This book tells you.

Ever wonder which World War 2 vehicle was built by York Safe & Lock Company?

Some of these fascinating T-series vehicles are on exhibit today in museums, and some are even owned by historic military vehicle enthusiasts! (There are more around than you think!)

From an era when military vehicle development in America slowed to a crawl, to the urgent hot house environment of World War 2 and the beginning of the Cold War, the U.S. Army designed, tested or fielded over 700 vehicle types, virtually all documented in this major work, the result of years of research. A must have for your military library!

Compiled and edited by David A. Haugh, Editor and Publisher of Armored Car Journal for 6 years, and author of works on American half tracks and military trucks. Many of his articles have been published in various military magazines over the last 35 years.

780 vehicle entries, 404 photos on 104 large pages. Perfect bound.

#2: Re: Searching for Perfection: An Encyclopedia of US Army T-Seri Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:25 pm
    ----
I've got the book and its useful. Very much an encyclopedia format. It's quite something just running down the loooong list of the things labelled 'T3' over time! Trucks are included, which is a godsend. My favorite picture is of a 'something' that looks for all the world like a mil-spec lawnmower! For those of you who don't have all the Hunnicutt books this book may be your only source for info on the obscure U.S. heavy tank designs.

The only negative is a few photos don't look like they'd undergone a modern-day Photoshop reworking. We've been spoiled these days, its not often we see faded old photos printed looking faded or old. But that's a small quibble. This is one of those book where you're guaranteed to see something you didn't know existed.

Another Haugh book to look out for is his rare "U.S. Half-Tracks, their design and development" from 1998. The book came out shortly before Hunnicutt's definitive 'Half-Track' appeared, and the excellent Haugh book sank rather quickly into undeserved oblivion. keep an eye peeled for a rare copy.

#3: Re: Searching for Perfection: An Encyclopedia of US Army T-Seri Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 pm
    ----
I have it, its pretty good, very useful. My only quibble is that they are very short one-paragraph descriptions of each item - only 104 pages long total.

Neil

#4: Re: Searching for Perfection: An Encyclopedia of US Army T-Seri Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:46 pm
    ----
The length is kind of dissappointing, but I saw it for less than $20. Why not...

Thanks for the reviews!

-> AFV News Discussion Board