1/35 ONTOS kit rumor
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:58 pm
    ----
There's a possiblity of a new 1/35 ONTOS kit in plastic coming out sometime in the not so distant future.

www.modelmecca.com/hhrd.shtml

There's a blurb about it in the pdf. file that is in the above link. I bet that'll make a few people on this board happy!

#2: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:04 pm
    ----
Let us pray for single-piece, turned-brass barrels this time! Wink

#3: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:54 pm
    ----
Serious question - whats the attraction of model kits? I used to build them as a kid, but it was only because I had no other means of getting toys to play with. I model in 3D a little bit now, but thats about it.

#4: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:02 pm
    ----
Most more-or-less serious modellers don't regard them as "toys", but are creating the "illusion of reality"....in minature. My models as a child were mostly toys (and suffered unspeakable fates), but the few I have today are 3D versions I can actually own, not being a multi-millionaire.

#5: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:16 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
There's a possiblity of a new 1/35 ONTOS kit in plastic coming out sometime in the not so distant future.

www.modelmecca.com/hhrd.shtml

There's a blurb about it in the pdf. file that is in the above link. I bet that'll make a few people on this board happy!

Wink No Comment Wink

(Actually I had heard a 'non-specific' rumor while back...no insider info on this front)

Great News

I did know of the slightly delayed release of a resin based 'die-cast', from here:

Ontos 'Die-Cast'

Hope to see this soon.

Don

#6: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Burik PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:03 am
    ----
- Hellfish6
Serious question - whats the attraction of model kits? I used to build them as a kid, but it was only because I had no other means of getting toys to play with. I model in 3D a little bit now, but thats about it.

As noted, modelers do not see them as toys. Not only is there quite a bit of skill involved in building and painting them realistically, but they also then become conversation pieces, just like many other things in one's home.

For many, putting models in a setting, called a diorama, is the ultimate in the hobby. Essentially, a diorama is a three dimensional painting where one can tell a story or just show a subject in it's natural setting.

#7: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:19 am
    ----
- Burik
- Hellfish6

As noted, modelers do not see them as toys. Not only is there quite a bit of skill involved in building and painting them realistically, but they also then become conversation pieces, just like many other things in one's home.

For many, putting models in a setting, called a diorama, is the ultimate in the hobby. Essentially, a diorama is a three dimensional painting where one can tell a story or just show a subject in it's natural setting.

What he said. Check out some of the work on these pages:

amostokyo.web.infoseek..._AFV01.htm
Shocked

#8: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:05 am
    ----
Howdy everyone,
As I said a while back on this forum. I wish I could build models like many of you can in this forum. Sometimes a model is all one can see of a rare vehicle. The person making one not only has the skill to do this but also spends as much time if not more researching the subject to make sure it is as accurate as possible. I always wished I had the time/skill/patience to build a decent 3D vehicle ID kit to train my troops. There really is added value to training when a soldier can pick up the subject and view it from all angles. Vehicle ID is one of those subjects that a lot of tankers catch hell with during gunnery skills testing.

Joe D

#9: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Burik PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:32 am
    ----
I'm partial to these two:

#10: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:30 am
    ----
Hi HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

Serious question - whats the attraction of model kits? I used to build them as a kid, but it was only because I had no other means of getting toys to play with.

1. I am not rich enough to own the real thing.
2. I don't own a chunk of land large enough to park an armored division's worth of AFVs.
3. I love to talk about AFVs.

Models are much cheaper, take up a lot less room, don't need oil and fuel to keep them working, and are super great conversation items.

My 2 cents.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#11: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:45 am
    ----
- Joe_D
I always wished I had the time/skill/patience to build a decent 3D vehicle ID kit to train my troops. There really is added value to training when a soldier can pick up the subject and view it from all angles. Vehicle ID is one of those subjects that a lot of tankers catch hell with during gunnery skills testing.

Try seeing if there is a local model club in the area. They might build some for you. Just remember to tell them it's for ID and that they will be handled a lot. No point in putting all sorts of small details on the model if they are just going to be broken off.

#12: Re: 1/35 ONTOS kit rumor Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:30 am
    ----
I always wished I had the time/skill/patience to build a decent 3D vehicle ID kit to train my troops. There really is added value to training when a soldier can pick up the subject and view it from all angles. Vehicle ID is one of those subjects that a lot of tankers catch hell with during gunnery skills testing.

I always use MIltra 1/100 for recognition training. They come ready-made, painted and are suitable for handling. Theycan even be laid out in rooms and observed through binoculars for tests.

These days you have to get them from QRF

www.quickreactionforce...ition.html

The alternative is to buy their 15mm (actually 1/100 scale) unpainted vehicles and give them a quick spray....

Ask at your Unit there may be funds available for the purchase of stuff like this.

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board