Will your p.c. run Vista?
-> Hardware

#1: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:59 am
    ----
Find out with the patented M$ Vista Scanner.

(read instructions on page)

[EDIT: REMOVED LINK FOR REASONS IN NEXT POST]

#2: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:08 pm
    ----
WARNING:-

Just tried this meself and got my first blue screen of death in two years. lolol

Back in a sec.
Just rebooted and off to check everything's okay before I try it again.

#3: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:19 pm
    ----
As this scanner causes [some] systems to crash repeatedly, I'll refrain from posting it again just now.
When I hear it's more stable, I'll have another go, and review the situation.

#4: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:31 pm
    ----
Mine didn't crash, but it didn't work either...(SURPRISE)...lol

#5: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:13 pm
    ----
Mine worked and it also told me that my current coffee perculator was ready for Vista...

Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

#6: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:22 am
    ----
lol

I tried it again and the same thing happened although I do know several people who've used it safely.

I chopped the link until we know which ones it's safe to use on.

#7: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:09 pm
    ----
I guess blue screen of death means you can't use it..lol..

#8: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:11 pm
    ----
lol yeh.

I posted about my BSOD experience on the forum I got it from and some soppy sod replied, "Welcome to the final release version of Vista"!
lololol

#9: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: Chybear PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:38 am
    ----
Heard a rumor that opengl may be run thru the directx api in the shiney new windowz vister ...As if dx dun have enuff to do all on its own with sounds ect. Now M$ gunna take the perfect outa our IL2FB? waaaaa!?

nVidia + Intel + Microsoft = axis of evil
ATI + AMD + SCO/BSD/Linux = the young jedis!!

#10: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:02 am
    ----
Hi Chy,
What about ATi + Intel + M$?
Does that mean I'm a young evil or an axis of jedis?
Smile

#11: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: Chybear PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:30 am
    ----
Hey Shades
LoL Knowin you I'd bet both... Like the trilogy playin out backwards He He.... or like i do always playin both ends to the middle Wink Guess we shouldnt complain MS is still the only os that'll run most every game out there... But it's changing fast ..now they puttin intels in macs all one needs is bootcamp with extra copy of xp.... presto windows on a mac ...Now thats progress! Not like comparing apples to oranges anymore or was that lemmons? LoL

#12: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:30 am
    ----
Ahhhh there's already plans to boot XP on a Mac.
Not sure if it's already done, but will be this year.
Smile

#13: Re: Will your p.c. run Vista? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:09 am
    ----
Some more fuel to 'add to the fire'...lol

Picked this up at "Extreme Tech" today...

Will Vista Run Your Games?

F.E.A.R., Call of Duty 2, Rise of Legends

It's well-known that F.E.A.R. is a real system hog. Sure, it's one of the most technologically impressive action games yet released, but to really enjoy it with all the bells and whistles you need a hefty PC with lots of RAM and a beefy video card. It just so happens, that's what we have here.

And boy, do you want a lot of RAM. With only 1GB of RAM in our system, gameplay was a bit choppy with frequent hard drive access. Upgrading to 2GB fixed this problem.

Performance is a bit of an issue, too. F.E.A.R. is one of our standard benchmark games. When we ran the built-in benchmark at 1280x960 with all the visual detail levels maxed out, but with no AA or AF enabled, we saw a whopping 30% drop in performance against a similarly configured Windows XP machine (though our average frame rate was still around 60fps). Enabling 4x anti-aliasing and 8x anisotropic filtering only made the situation worse: the frame rate dropped from an average fps of 70 down to a pitiful 32! Clearly, some driver work or OS optimization needs to be done here – most of the other games we tested didn't exhibit a drop in performance this dramatic.

In multiplayer, the same problem exists with servers using Punkbuster as with Battlefield 2. Simply run the game as an administrator to avoid getting kicked off Punkbuster servers.

Call of Duty 2
Infinity Ward's epic WWII shooter runs quite well, with no problems during installation or gameplay. Curiously, though CoD2 uses Punkbuster and we joined Punkbuster-enabled servers, we never got the permissions error we got in other games. It looks like you can play CoD2 online without checking the "run as Admin" box. Performance was just a little beneath Windows XP with no AA/AF applied, but enabling those features slowed things down considerably. It was still playable with our high-end card, but we're talking 38fps instead of 50fps. It's not as bad as the situation with F.E.A.R., at least.

As an interesting side-note: when we benchmark Call of Duty 2, reads our recorded single-player demo file from the main/demos subdirectory and then dumps out a results file in the same place. This didn't work under Vista at first, because the OS prohibits applications from writing to or modifying anything under the Program Files directory (where Call of Duty is stored) with limited permissions. If we run the game as Administrator, the benchmark results file is produced as expected.

Rise of Legends

I didn't see anything on Flight Sims, but there's some other game comparisons too... Wink

To read the whole article: Click HERE!

-> Hardware