Pictorial of the sinking of the Oriskany...
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Pictorial of the sinking of the Oriskany... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:58 pm
    ----
Awesome.....

www.irishmansoftware.c...iskany.htm

#2: Re: Pictorial of the sinking of the Oriskany... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:05 pm
    ----
Jeeez......WOW......that is indeed a helluva sight!!!

Wasn't the Oriskany the carrier that Sen. John McCain was flying off when he was with the Jolly Rogers? Or maybe it was that he was there priot to the JR's, and after that huge accident with the rocket going off, he transferred to another carrier and that was the one he was flying off when he was shot down. Something like that.

Sad to see in a way, but the fact it's going to be an artifical reef is something that makes up for it. If they sank it in 212 feet of water, a lot or most of it is still too deep for much marine life or sport diving, but it looks like a heck of a lot of it is going to be accessible at more reasonable depths!

#3: Re: Pictorial of the sinking of the Oriskany... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:21 pm
    ----
The accident in which he featured so prominently as a survivor was aboard the Forrestal. I think maybe he'd tranferred to the Oriskany from which he flew the mission that he came to regret, but I'm not at all certain about that.

#4: Re: Pictorial of the sinking of the Oriskany... Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:51 am
    ----
[quote="JG300-Ascout"]Awesome.....

That says it. Thanks for sharing

#5: Re: Pictorial of the sinking of the Oriskany... Author: RCAF_WingnutLocation: Omaha, Ne. PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:04 am
    ----
Yes John McCain was on the Big O when he flew that mission that got him shot down, and captured in Viet Nam. I watched a couple news programs, one of which they spoke with John about his experiences on it.

#6: Re: Pictorial of the sinking of the Oriskany... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:29 am
    ----
Almost brings tears to your eyes...

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum