Fort Bliss
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Bliss Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:59 am
    ----
Howdy everyone,

Quick question, anything interesting at Fort Bliss tank/armor? I haven't been there since '93. Looking for M60 models. I am hoping to get a little time to check the place out when I'm there.

Joe D

#2: Re: Fort Bliss Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:14 am
    ----
Hi Joe! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

Quick question, anything interesting at Fort Bliss tank/armor? I haven't been there since '93. Looking for M60 models. I am hoping to get a little time to check the place out when I'm there.

4th Longknifes (Heavy) BCT, 1st Cav Div is standing up here at Biggs Field. Not much to see around post yet. Most if not all their new armor is up North at the Dona Anna base camp.

I don't remember when it moved, but the Museum has moved. It is now in the old Gen Terry Allen PX building and parking lot. If you have not seen the Museum sense 1993, it should be worth a visit. New building and lots of new items on display that the old building didn't have room for. Newest item is a Sgt. York. If you plan to take pictures, you will need a good flash.

They have a M60A0 in the parking lot at this time. The poor thing has some broken T-bars and has been repainted with some off the wall color of brown.

If I can help with your visit, drop me an e-mail at "sgt scouts out at aol.com" (Drop the spaces and replace the word at with @.)

Spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: Fort Bliss Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:03 am
    ----
Thanks Roy,
Not sure how much time I'll have. The plan is to have me out of there in 10 days. Last time I was there we were picking through the M1A1's 3ACR turned in after Desert Storm. Spent over 30 days TI'ing them and picking out the best 58 for our unit to use so ours could get repaired. Never forgot the smell at the railhead from that dog snack factory. I am reminded every time I open a bag of Jerky Treats for my mutts.

Joe D

#4: Re: Fort Bliss Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:20 pm
    ----
Hi Joe! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

Never forgot the smell at the railhead from that dog snack factory. I am reminded every time I open a bag of Jerky Treats for my mutts.

That all history now. The Jerky Treats plant is empty and the tracks for the rail head have been removed.

Owners of the plant wanted to enlarge the building, but they were boxed in on that site. So they closed up shop and moved to another state. When I was stationed here at Ft. Bliss, I lived in quarters that where on the west side of the North-South Freeway. Many a time the wind would blow that smell of the dog treats plant our way.

The Army build a new railhead. It's much larger and has lights for night operations.

Hope you have time for some fun during your time here.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#5: Re: Fort Bliss Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:53 pm
    ----
LOL! After all these years I still remember the smell of the JERKY TREAT plant. It used to make me hungry!

-> AFV News Discussion Board